Goals, guidelines, and constraints facing monetary policymakers: an overview
AbstractCentral bankers in the United States and abroad must grapple with a broad array of questions about how best to conduct monetary policy. How much should the goal of price stability be emphasized relative to the goal of employment stability? Does central bank independence aid in achieving either or both of these goals? Does a stable, short-run trade-off between inflation and unemployment exist, and can it be exploited by a central bank? What instrument should the central bank manipulate in order to achieve its short-run and long-run goals? ; In June of 1994, the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston sponsored a conference to address these questions. The five papers presented fell into three broad areas: first, the efficiency of U.S. monetary policy; second, the usefulness of monetary aggregates for the conduct of monetary policy; and third, an examination of international evidence to shed light on questions of central bank independence and accountability. This article offers an overview of the five papers presented and the comments of the discussants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Boston in its journal New England Economic Review.
Volume (Year): (1994)
Issue (Month): Sep ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barro, Robert J & Gordon, David B, 1983.
"A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural Rate Model,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 589-610, August.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1981. "A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural-Rate Model," NBER Working Papers 0807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence Ball, 1994.
"What Determines the Sacrifice Ratio?,"
in: Monetary Policy, pages 155-193
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1990. "Gross Job Creation and Destruction: Microeconomic Evidence and Macroeconomic Implications," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1990, Volume 5, pages 123-186 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:fth:coluec:572 is not listed on IDEAS
- Caballero, R.J. & Hammour, M.L., 1991.
"The Cleansing Effect of Recessions,"
Discussion Papers, Columbia University, Department of Economics
1991_59, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Caballero, Ricardo J & Hammour, Mohamad L, 1994. "The Cleansing Effect of Recessions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1350-68, December.
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 1985. "The Optimal Degree of Commitment to an Intermediate Monetary Target," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 100(4), pages 1169-89, November.
- Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Viegi, Nicola, 2001. "Labour Market Reform and Monetary Policy in EMU: Do Asymmetries Matter?," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 2979, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nicholas Rowe, 2002. "How to Improve Inflation Targeting at the Bank of Canada," Working Papers, Bank of Canada 02-23, Bank of Canada.
- Lossani Marco & Natale Piergiovanna & Tirelli Patrizio, 1999.
"Disegno delle istituzioni e stabilitÃ finanziaria nell'Unione Monetaria Europea,"
Economia politica, SocietÃ editrice il Mulino,
SocietÃ editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 243-270.
- Lossani, Marco & Natale, Piergiovanna & Tirelli, Patrizio, 1999.
"Disegno delle istituzioni e stabilitÃ finanziaria nell'Unione Monetaria Europea
[Istitutional design and financial stability in EMU]," MPRA Paper 18692, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lossani, Marco & Natale, Piergiovanna & Tirelli, Patrizio, 1999. "Disegno delle istituzioni e stabilitÃ finanziaria nell'Unione Monetaria Europea
- Jorg Bibow, 2005. "Refocusing the ECB on Output Stabilization and Growth through Inflation Targeting?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_425, Levy Economics Institute.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Ilian Mihov, 1996.
"What Does the Bundesbank Target?,"
NBER Working Papers
5764, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martha LÃ³pez P., .
"Efficient Policy Rule for Inflation Targeting in Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
240, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Martha Rosalba LopezpiÃ±eros, 2004. "Efficient Policy Rulefor Inflation Targeting Incolombia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÃTICA ECONÃ“MICA, BANCO DE LA REPÃšBLICA - ESPE, BANCO DE LA REPÃšBLICA - ESPE.
- Martha LÃ³pez P., 2003. "Efficient Policy Rule For Inflation Targeting In Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002437, BANCO DE LA REPÃšBLICA.
- Giuseppe Diana & MoÃse Sidiropoulos, 2006. "Central Bank Independence and the Cost of Disinflation: Why the Wage Contracts Length Matters?," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 287-297, August.
- David Cobham & Peter Macmillan & David Mcmillan, 2004. "The inflation/output variability trade-off: further evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 347-350.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Catherine Spozio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.