Incompatibilidade Escolaridade-Ocupação e Salários: Evidências de uma Empresa Industrial Brasileira
AbstractJob-Schooling mismatch and wages has received too much attention from developed countries researchers. The last two decades has provided a lot of empirical evidences on the incidence of over and under-education across developed countries in different periods, and returns on ORU (over-education, required education, and under-education). A recent wave of empirical works has focused on deeper questions: (i) Are ORU returns a firm wage effect? (ii) Do ORU returns remain significant after controlling for unobserved workers heterogeneity? (iii) Is over-education a deliberate investment decision of workers in their careers? The goal of this paper is to provide evidence for these questions by using personnel records of a large Brazilian manufacturing plant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil) in its journal Revista Brasileira de Economia.
Volume (Year): 63 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Praia de Botafogo 190, sala 1100, Rio de Janeiro/RJ - CEP: 22253-900
Web page: http://epge.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Luiz Alberto Esteves, 2007. "Incompatibilidade Escolaridade-Ocupação e Salários: Evidências de uma Empresa Industrial Brasileira," Working Papers 0059, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics.
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J41 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Labor Contracts
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duncan, Greg J. & Hoffman, Saul D., 1981. "The incidence and wage effects of overeducation," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 75-86, February.
- John Robst, 1995. "Career Mobility, Job Match, and Overeducation," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 21(4), pages 539-550, Fall.
- Hartog, Joop, 2000. "Over-education and earnings: where are we, where should we go?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 131-147, April.
- Groeneveld, Sandra & Hartog, Joop, 2004.
"Overeducation, wages and promotions within the firm,"
Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 701-714, December.
- Groeneveld, Sandra & Hartog, Joop, 2003. "Overeducation, Wages and Promotions within the Firm," IZA Discussion Papers 883, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Berg, Gerard J. van den & Gautier, Pieter A. & Ours, Jan C., 1998.
"Worker turnover at the firm level and crowding out of lower educated workers,"
Serie Research Memoranda
0049, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- A. Gautier, Pieter & J. van den Berg, Gerard & C. van Ours, Jan & Ridder, Geert, 2002. "Worker turnover at the firm level and crowding out of lower educated workers," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 523-538, March.
- Gautier, P.A. & Berg, G. van den & Ours, J.C. van & Ridder, G., 2002. "Worker turnover at the firm level and crowding out of lower educated workers," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-91480, Tilburg University.
- Berg, G. van den & Gautier, P.A. & Ours, J.C. van & Ridder, G., 1998. "Worker turnover at the firm level and crowding out of lower educated workers," Discussion Paper 98.104, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Groot, Wim & Maassen van den Brink, Henriette, 2000. "Overeducation in the labor market: a meta-analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 149-158, April.
- Büchel, Felix & Mertens, Antje, 2000. "Overeducation, Undereducation, and the Theory of Career Mobility," IZA Discussion Papers 195, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nachum Sicherman, 1987.
"Over-Education in the Labor Market,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
48, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Bauer, Thomas K., 2002. "Educational mismatch and wages: a panel analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 221-229, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.