Desemprego dos jovens no Brasil: os efeitos da estabilização da inflação em um mercado de trabalho com escassez de informação
AbstractFollowing the inflation stabilization with the Real Plan in 1994, the youthunemployment rate in Brazil increased substantially relative to prime-age adultworkers. We argue in this paper that the increased wage rigid due to inflationstabilization and the employers? uncertainty about young workers productivity wereimportant factors for this unemployment rate pattern. More information aboutproductivity is revealed to the employer as the worker accumulates experience in thelabor market. Therefore, low inflation rates should have restricted firms? capacity tochange real wage as more information was acquired, and adjustments when theworker productivity was revealed lower than the real wage were realized thoughtemployment reduction. Using the Brazilian National Household Sample Survey[Pesquisa Nacional por Amostra de DomicÃlios (PNAD)] data from 1981 to 2002,the evidences are consistent with our argument. The results show that inflation isnegatively related to unemployment rate and positively associated to employmentduration, but these relationships are more intense for young workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil) in its journal Revista Brasileira de Economia.
Volume (Year): 61 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Praia de Botafogo 190, sala 1100, Rio de Janeiro/RJ - CEP: 22253-900
Web page: http://epge.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Maurício Cortez Reis & José Márcio Camargo, 2005. "Desemprego dos Jovens no Brasil: Os efeitos da Estabilização da Inflação em um Mercado de Trabalho com Escassez de Informação," Discussion Papers 1116, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acemoglu, D. & Pischki, J.S., 1996.
"Why Do Firms Train? Theory and Evidence,"
96-7, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Pischke, Jörn-Steffen, 1996. "Why do Firms Train? Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1460, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1996. "Why Do Firms Train? Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5605, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gibbons, Robert & Katz, Lawrence F, 1991.
"Layoffs and Lemons,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(4), pages 351-80, October.
- Gibbons, Robert & Katz, Lawrence F., 1991. "Layoffs and Lemons," Scholarly Articles 3442782, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Gibbons, R. & Katz, L.F., 1989. "Layoffs And Lemons," Working papers 531, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence Katz, 1989. "Layoffs and Lemons," Working Papers 629, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence Katz, 1989. "Layoffs and Lemons," NBER Working Papers 2968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Topel, Robert H & Ward, Michael P, 1992.
"Job Mobility and the Careers of Young Men,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 439-79, May.
- Farber, Henry S & Gibbons, Robert, 1996.
"Learning and Wage Dynamics,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1007-47, November.
- Henry S. Farber & Robert Gibbons, 1994. "Learning and Wage Dynamics," Working Papers 707, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Henry S. Farber & Robert Gibbons, 1991. "Learning and Wage Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 3764, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, Jennifer C, 2000. "Nominal Wage Rigidity in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C176-95, March.
- Deaton, Angus, 1985. "Panel data from time series of cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 109-126.
- Browning, Martin & Deaton, Angus & Irish, Margaret, 1985. "A Profitable Approach to Labor Supply and Commodity Demands over the Life-Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 503-43, May.
- Enlinson Mattos & Veronica Orellano & elaine Pazello, 2009.
"A Substituição de Trabalhadores como Instrumento para Redução de Gastos com Salários: Evidências para a Indústria Paulista,"
Revista Brasileira de Economia,
FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 63(2), pages 135-152, June.
- Orellano, Verônica Inês Fernandez & Toldo Pazello, Elaine & Mattos, Enlinson Henrique Carvalho de, 2010. "A substituição de trabalhadores como instrumento para redução de gastos com salários: evidências para a indústria paulista," Textos para discussÃ£o 267, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.