On the theoretical determination of optimal currency areas in the framework of club theory
AbstractThe paper provides an analytical approach to determine ex ante the optimal size (number ofparticipants) and the optimal monetary conditions (inflation rate) of a monetary union. In the first part, the case of homogenous members is presented from the »total economy point of view» put forward by club theory. In the second part, the case of heterogenous members is explained on the background of the prospective European Monetary Union. Here also the »individual member point of view» and stability problems are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 9 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hughes Hallett, A J & Vines, D, 1993. "On the Possible Costs of European Monetary Union," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 61(1), pages 35-64, March.
- Sell, Friedrich L., 1999. "Die EWWU als Club: Positive und normative Implikationen für den Beitritt mittel- und osteuropäischer Reformstaaten ; Beitrag für den Projektbericht: Währungspolitische Optionen für die mittel- un," Working Papers in Economics 1999,4, Universität der Bundeswehr München, Economic Research Group.
- Sell, Friedrich L., 2001. "Braucht es monetäre und reale Konvergenz für eine (in einer) Währungsunion? Anmerkungen zu einer aktuellen Debatte," Working Papers in Economics 2001,1, Universität der Bundeswehr München, Economic Research Group.
- Krumm, Raimund & Herz, Bernhard, 1997. "Voting requirements, concessions, international side payments and the European Monetary Union," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 691-703, December.
- Sell, Friedrich L., 2004. "Währungspolitik im Dienste von Entwicklung : Immer noch ein Forschungsprogramm!," Working Papers in Economics 2004,2, Universität der Bundeswehr München, Economic Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.