The great depression of the 1990s in Finland
AbstractThe beginning of the 1990s witnessed the collapse ofthe Eastern European economies and a severe recession in some Western European countries. In most countries the economic difficulties have been milder than those experienced during the Great Depression of the 1930s. Finland is an exception to this rule. In Finland the current recession - if measured by output losses - has been clearly worse than the previous one 60 years ago. In this paper we discuss the relative role of foreign and domestic shocks. Was the economic policy conducted during the recession the right one? Was the crisis unavoidable after the liberalization of international capital movements? We also further review the actual developments and the economic policy discussion during the recent depression.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 9 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jaakko Kiander, 2004. "Growth and Employment in Nordic Welfare States in the 1990s: a Tale of Crisis and Revival," Discussion Papers 336, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Jason Furman & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1998. "Economic Crises: Evidence and Insights from East Asia," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(2), pages 1-136.
- Panu Kalmi, 2013. "Catching a wave: the formation of co-operatives in Finnish regions," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 295-313, June.
- Lars Jonung & Jaakko Kiander & Pentti Vartia, 2008. "The great financial crisis in Finland and Sweden - The dynamics of boom, bust and recovery, 1985-2000," European Economy - Economic Papers 350, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.