The depression of the 1990s in Finland : an analytic view
AbstractThis paper deals with some aspects of the Finnish economic crisis in the 1990s by starting with a quick description of the main macroeconomic features of the crisis together with some empirical evidence on price and wage as well as interest rate determination. With these as a background a theoretical analysis of fiscal and monetary policies is presented by putting a special attention on the macroeconomic implications of high foreign debt and the banking system for the effects of monetary and fiscal policies. The paper ends up by interpreting the role of economic policy during the depression and considering problems of the external balance of the Finnish economy in the near future.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 9 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti, 1994. "The Political Economy of Budget Deficits," NBER Working Papers 4637, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nordhaus, William D, 1975. "The Political Business Cycle," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 169-90, April.
- Mika Kuismanen & Seppo Laakso & Heikki A. Loikkanen, 1999. "Demographic Factors and the Demand for Housing in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area," Discussion Papers, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) 191, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Jaakko Kiander & Jaakko Pehkonen, 1999. "Finnish unemployment: observations and conjectures," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 94-108, Autumn.
- Lars Jonung & Jaakko Kiander & Pentti Vartia, 2008. "The great financial crisis in Finland and Sweden - The dynamics of boom, bust and recovery, 1985-2000," European Economy - Economic Papers, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission 350, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Seppo Honkapohja & Erkki Koskela, 1999.
"The economic crisis of the 1990s in Finland,"
Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH,
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 14(29), pages 399-436, October.
- Honkapohja, Seppo & Koskela, Erkki, 2002. "The Economic Crisis of the 1990s in Finland," Discussion Papers, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy 683, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Yuriy Gorodnichenko & Enrique G. Mendoza & Linda L. Tesar, 2009.
"The Finnish Great Depression: From Russia with Love,"
NBER Working Papers
14874, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yuriy Gorodnichenko & Enrique G. Mendoza & Linda L. Tesar, 2012. "The Finnish Great Depression: From Russia with Love," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(4), pages 1619-44, June.
- Gorodnichenko, Yuriy & Mendoza, Enrique G. & Tesar, Linda L., 2009. "The Finnish Great Depression: From Russia with Love," IZA Discussion Papers 4113, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.