Estimating engel curves : a generalisation of the P-Tobit model
AbstractCross-section demand relationships are usually estimated using data from short-duration expenditure surveys. The interpretation of such observations is not straightforward, since a zero recorded expenditure may understate true demand and a positive expenditure overstates demand. Deaton and Irish have recently proposed and applied the P- Tobit technique to deal with this problem, but with little success. The present paper specifies a generalisation of their model and applies alternative estimators to two different sets of UK survey data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 1 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Waldman, Donald M., 1985. "Computation in duration models with heterogeneity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 127-134, April.
- Kay, J. A. & Keen, M. J. & Morris, C. N., 1984. "Estimating consumption from expenditure data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 169-181.
- Blundell, Richard & Meghir, Costas, 1987. "Bivariate alternatives to the Tobit model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 179-200.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Pitt, Mark M., 1984. "Microeconometric Models of Consumer and Producer Demand with Limited Dependent Variables," Bulletins 7495, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Wales, T. J. & Woodland, A. D., 1983. "Estimation of consumer demand systems with binding non-negativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 263-285, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.