Market Structure and Welfare in the Finnish Market for Long-Distance Telecommunications
AbstractThis paper attempts to measure the welfare effects associated with the opening of the Finnish market for long-distance voice telephony in 1993. It also focuses on the remaining potential welfare losses associated with imperfect competition in this market. The results suggest that entry benefited consumers substantially in terms of consumer surplus, while the change in operators’ net profits was negative. From 1993 onwards the potential relative welfare loss substantially decreased from about 40 per cent of sales revenues to about 11 per cent. However, the figures for the late 1990s strongly depend upon assumptions regarding market structure and price elasticity. Nevertheless, the results suggest that the potential relative welfare losses are not negligible.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 15 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- D60 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Willner, Johan & Stahl, Leila, 1992. "Where are the welfare losses of imperfect competition large?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 477-490, October.
- Cowling, Keith & Waterson, Michael, 1976. "Price-Cost Margins and Market Structure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(171), pages 267-74, August.
- Wahlroos, Bjorn, 1982. " The Welfare Cost of Imperfect Industrial Competition in an Open Economy with an Application to Finland," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(3), pages 457-70.
- Paul MacAVOY, 1998. "Testing for Competitiveness of Markets for Long Distance Telephone Services: Competition Finally?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 295-319, June.
- Hausman, Jerry & Tardiff, Timothy & Belinfante, Alexander, 1993. "The Effects of the Breakup of AT&T on Telephone Penetration in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 178-84, May.
- Cowling, Keith & Mueller, Dennis C, 1978. "The Social Costs of Monopoly Power," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 727-48, December.
- Shapiro, Carl, 1989. "Theories of oligopoly behavior," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 329-414 Elsevier.
- Cadima, Nuno & Pita Barros, Pedro Luis, 2000. "The Impact of Mobile Phone Diffusion on the Fixed-Link Network," CEPR Discussion Papers 2598, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.