Partner leasing in Sweden : a case study in financial innovation and re-regulation
AbstractPartner leasing is a form of financial leasing which is driven primarily by tax considerations. We discuss how partner leasing flourished in Sweden as a financial innovation in response to particular tax rules around 1983, and how the authorities attempted to eliminate it. Specific reference is made to the Tjädern case, an authentic and sophisticated piece of financial engineering. The lowering of the corporate income tax rate through the 1991 tax reform and the subsequent fall in interest rates seem to have made partner leasing relatively uninteresting today as a corporate tax planning device.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 11 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
- H26 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Tax Evasion
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kane, Edward J, 1981.
"Accelerating Inflation, Technological Innovation, and the Decreasing Effectiveness of Banking Regulation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 355-67, May.
- Edward J. Kane, 1981. "Accelerating Inflation, Technological Innovation, and the Decreasing Effectiveness of Banking Regulation," NBER Working Papers 0638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miller, Merton H., 1986. "Financial Innovation: The Last Twenty Years and the Next," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(04), pages 459-471, December.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marchall, 1979. "On Leasing, Borrowing and Financial Risk," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt5mr7g75s, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Robert C. Merton, 1992. "Financial Innovation And Economic Performance," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 4(4), pages 12-22.
- Myers, Stewart C & Dill, David A & Bautista, Alberto J, 1976. "Valuation of Financial Lease Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 799-819, June.
- Franks, Julian R & Hodges, Stewart D, 1978. "Valuation of Financial Lease Contracts: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(2), pages 657-69, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.