Causes of Deviations from the CNB’s Inflation Targets: An Empirical Analysis
AbstractThis paper provides an empirical analysis of the factors that caused deviations from the CNB’s inflation targets during the first ten years of inflation targeting in the Czech Republic. While in the short term, shocks to agricultural producer prices represent the most important factor, exchange rate shocks are clearly the most important medium-term factor. At the same time, it could not be proved that monetary policy created any major shocks contributing to the non-fulfillment of inflation targets, although some role thereof cannot be excluded either.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences in its journal Finance a uver - Czech Journal of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 58 (2008)
Issue (Month): 09-10 (December)
inflation targeting; VAR model; exchange rate;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Filáèek, 2007.
"Why and How to Assess Inflation-Target Fulfillment,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(11-12), pages 577-594, December.
- Holub, Tomáš, 2004.
"Foreign exchange interventions under inflation targeting: the Czech Experience,"
17, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Adam Gersl & Tomás Holub, 2006. "Foreign Exchange Interventions Under Inflation Targeting: The Czech Experience," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 24(4), pages 475-491, October.
- Tomas Holub, 2004. "Foreign Exchange Interventions Under Inflation Targeting: The Czech Experience," Research and Policy Notes 2004/01, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- TomÃ¡Å¡ Holub & JaromÃr HurnÃk, 2008. "Ten Years of Czech Inflation Targeting: Missed Targets and Anchored Expectations," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(6), pages 67-86, November.
- Tomáš Havránek & Roman Horváth & Jakub Matějů, 2012. "Monetary transmission and the financial sector in the Czech Republic," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 45(3), pages 135-155, August.
- Tomas Havranek & Roman Horvath & Jakub Mateju, 2010. "Do Financial Variables Help Predict Macroeconomic Environment? The Case of the Czech Republic," Working Papers 2010/06, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Roman Horváth, 2008. "Undershooting of the Inflation Target in the Czech Republic: The Role of Inflation Expectations," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 58(09-10), pages 482-492, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.