Why heavily indebted poor countries have failed to pay back their debt? An empirical investigation (in English)
AbstractThis paper, in using cross-section pooled logit, probit, and fixed-effects logit models, empirically explores the main factors affecting the rescheduling of contractual debt-service payments by heavily indebted poor countries (HICPs) in the late 1980s and the 1990s. The results seem to suggest that HIPCs past external debt, per-capita income level, GDP growth rate, trade openness, foreign-currency reserves, and capital inflows are core factors affecting debt servicing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences in its journal Finance a uver - Czech Journal of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 55 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (March)
debt crisis; debt rescheduling; logit model; fixed effects; heavily indebted poor countries (HIPC);
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hajivassiliou, Vassilis A., 1987. "The external debt repayments problems of LDC's : An econometric model based on panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 205-230.
- Andrew Berg & Jeffrey Sachs, 1988.
"The Debt Crisis: Structural Explanations of Country Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
2607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berg, Andrew & Sachs, Jeffrey, 1988. "The debt crisis structural explanations of country performance," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 271-306, November.
- Gary M. Woller & Kerk Phillips, 1996. "Commercial Banks And Ldc Debt Reduction," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(2), pages 107-123, 04.
- Marcel Fafchamps, .
"Sovereign Debt, Structural Adjustment and Conditionality,"
96015, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1996. "Sovereign debt, structural adjustment, and conditionality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 313-335, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.