Economic and Financial Integration of CEECs: The Impact of Financial Instability
AbstractThe recent financial crisis had a powerful impact upon the European countries' economies, in particular on those from Central and Eastern Europe, with some small exceptions. Thus, applying a panel data approach for a large sample of CEECs, we demonstrate that financial instability negatively influences these countries economic and financial integration. If instability is measured by means of a financial instability index, we have used two classical indicators for the economic integration, namely trade openness and trade intensity index. Indicators such as the interest rates co-movement and the asset share of foreign-owned banks were chosen to calculate financial integration. We highlight the fact that the crisis events hinder the process of CEECs' integration into the EU, deepening the economic gaps between more and less developed EU members.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies in its journal AUCO Czech Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 5 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benassy-Quere, A. & Fontagne, L. & Lahreche-Revil, A., 2000.
"Exchange Rate Strategies in the Competition for Attracting FDI,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃƒÂ©matique et Applications, UniversitÃƒÂ© PanthÃƒÂ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1)
2000.07, UniversitÃƒÂ© PanthÃƒÂ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Lionel Fontagné & Amina Lahrèche-Revil, 1999. "Exchange Rate Strategies in the Competition for Attracting FDI," Working Papers 1999-16, CEPII research center.
- Luca Benedictis & Lucia Tajoli, 2007.
"Economic integration and similarity in trade structures,"
Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 117-137, April.
- Lucia Tajoli & Lucia De Benedictis, 2006. "Economic Integration and Similarity in Trade Structures," Working Papers 2006.54, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Fernandez de Guevara, Juan & Maudos, Joaquin & Perez, Francisco, 2007.
"Integration and competition in the European financial markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 26-45, February.
- Francisco PÃ©rez GarcÃa & JoaquÃn Maudos Villarroya & Juan Francisco FernÃ¡ndez de Guevara Radoselovics, 2003. "Integration And Competition In The European Financial Markets," Working Papers. Serie EC, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones EconÃ³micas, S.A. (Ivie) 2003-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones EconÃ³micas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Demyanyk, Yuliya & Volosovych, Vadym, 2008.
"Gains from financial integration in the European Union: Evidence for new and old members,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 277-294, March.
- Yuliya Demyanyk & Vadym Volosovych, 2007. "Gains from financial integration in the European union: evidence for new and old members," Supervisory Policy Analysis Working Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis 2007-01, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Yuliya Demyanyk & Vadym Volosovych, 2006. "Gains from Financial Integration in the European Union: Evidence for New and Old Members," Working Papers, Department of Economics, College of Business, Florida Atlantic University 06009, Department of Economics, College of Business, Florida Atlantic University, revised Aug 2007.
- Mark Illing & Ying Liu, 2003. "An Index of Financial Stress for Canada," Working Papers 03-14, Bank of Canada.
- Albulescu, Claudiu Tiberiu, 2013. "Financial Stability and Monetary Policy: A Reduced-Form Model for the EURO Area," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 62-81, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Stastna).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.