Dynamics of Stock Market Correlations
AbstractWe present a novel approach to the study the dynamics of stock market correlations. This is achieved through an innovative visualization tool that allows an investigation of the structure and dynamics of the market, through the study of correlations. This is based on the Stock Market Holography (SMH) method recently introduced. This qualitative measure is complemented by the use of the eigenvalue entropy measure, to quantify how the information in the market changes in time. Using this innovative approach, we analyzed data from the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), and the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange (TASE), for daily trading data for the time period of 2000–2009. This paper covers these new concepts for the study of financial markets in terms of structure and information as reflected by the changes in correlations over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies in its journal AUCO Czech Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 4 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- C65 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Miscellaneous Mathematical Tools
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dror Y. Kenett & Matthias Raddant & Thomas Lux & Eshel Ben-Jacob, 2011. "Evolvement of uniformity and volatility in the stressed global financial village," Kiel Working Papers 1739, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Leonidas Sandoval Junior, 2011. "Pruning a Minimum Spanning Tree," Papers 1109.0642, arXiv.org.
- Sandoval, Leonidas, 2012. "Pruning a minimum spanning tree," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(8), pages 2678-2711.
- Caraiani, Petre, 2014. "The predictive power of singular value decomposition entropy for stock market dynamics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 393(C), pages 571-578.
- Leonidas Sandoval Junior, 2011. "Cluster formation and evolution in networks of financial market indices," Papers 1111.5069, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Stastna).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.