Rural income generating activities in developing countries: re-assessing the evidence
AbstractThis paper contributes to the understanding of the dynamics of developing country rural labour markets by re-evaluating the available evidence on the levels and composition of income sources adopted by rural households in order to understand the relationship between the various economic activities taking place in rural areas and their implications for economic growth and poverty reduction. This is achieved in two parts: First, the paper introduces the Rural Income Generating Activities (RIGA) database, a newly constructed FAO repository of household survey data, income measures and cross-country comparable indicators. Second, using the RIGA database, the paper undertakes a descriptive analysis of the agricultural and non-agricultural sectors of the rural economy, assessing the importance of rural non-farm activities within the complex income strategies adopted by rural households in developing countries and their relationship to poverty and inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in its journal The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 4 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Agricultural Sector in Economic Development Service FAO Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 00153 Rome Italy
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39 06 57055522
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/
More information through EDIRC
rural economy; non-farm activities; income inequality; income diversification.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christiaensen, Luc & Todo, Yasuyuki, 2013.
"Poverty reduction during the rural-urban transformation : the role of the missing middle,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6445, The World Bank.
- Christiaensen, Luc J.M. & Todo, Yasuyuki, 2009. "Poverty Reduction during the Rural-Urban Transformation - The Role of the Missing Middle," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51467, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Achyuta R. Adhvaryu & Kathleen Beegle, 2012.
"The Long-Run Impacts of Adult Deaths on Older Household Members in Tanzania,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(2), pages 245 - 277.
- Adhvaryu, Achyuta R. & Beegle, Kathleen, 2009. "The long-run impacts of adult deaths on older household members in Tanzania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5037, The World Bank.
- Bandeira, Pablo & Sumpsi, Jose Maria, 2009. "Access to land and rural poverty in developing countries: theory and evidence from Guatemala," MPRA Paper 13365, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reardon, Thomas & Pingali, Prabhu L. & Stamoulis, Kostas G., 2006.
"Impacts of Agrifood Market Transformation during Globalization on the Poor's Rural Nonfarm Employment: Lessons for Rural Business Development Programs,"
11572, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Stamoulis, Kostas G. & Pingali, Prabhu L. & Reardon, Thomas, 2006. "Impacts of Agrifood Market Transformation during Globalization on the Poor's Rural Nonfarm Employment: Lessons for Rural Business Development Programs," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25556, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rafael E. de Hoyos & Denis Medvedev, 2011.
"Poverty Effects of Higher Food Prices: A Global Perspective,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 387-402, 08.
- De Hoyos, Rafael E. & Medvedev, Denis, 2009. "Poverty effects of higher food prices : a global perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4887, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Anríquez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Gustavo Anríquez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.