Deficit commerciale, crisi di bilancio e politica deflazionista
AbstractAn alternative interpretation of trade imbalances between member countries of the European Monetary Union is put forward with respect to Blanchard and Giavazzi (2002). It is argued that one of the causes of the present imbalances in foreign accounts lies in disparities as regards the productivity of labour coupled with the concomitant convergence of nominal wages and hence growing differences in the unit cost of labour among member countries. In particular, Italy and the other countries of southern Europe register the most significant rises in unit costs and are therefore in greatest danger of growing trade deficits. The article also examines the possibility of foreign deficits giving rise to crises in government budget on the basis of a logical model in which foreign accounts "predominate" over public accounts. It closes with some observations as to the real effectiveness of any policy seeking to remedy foreign deficits through a further spread of labour flexibility and more intense wage deflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by FrancoAngeli Editore in its journal STUDI ECONOMICI.
Volume (Year): 2008/96 (2008)
Issue (Month): 96 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=59
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- H6 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Michele Fratianni & Andrew Hughes Hallett & Andrea Filippo Presbitero, 2012. "External imbalances and financial fragility in the euro area," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 66, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.