Do Multinational Enterprises Affect Domestic Firms' Productivity?
AbstractDo Multinational Enterprises Affect Domestic Firms’ Productivity? (di Cesare Imbriani, Filippo Reganati) - ABSTRACT:This work examines the main theoretical and empirical interpretations of the effects of FDI on the productivity of local firms and, in particular, the way in which productivity spillovers are related to inter or intra regional differences. In studying the Italian manufacturing sector, using cross-sectional data, we found that the stronger presence of multinational enterprises increased the level of domestic productivity, but productivity spillovers were concentrated only in the north-western area of Italy. This indicates not only the existence of a geographic component in the spillovers from FDI but also the peculiarity of Italian manufacturing structure, where different models of production, such as the network enterprise model in the North-west, the industrial district model in the North-east and the backward model in the South, coexist.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by FrancoAngeli Editore in its journal STUDI ECONOMICI.
Volume (Year): 2002/78 (2002)
Issue (Month): 78 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=59
Other versions of this item:
- Filippo Reganati & Cesare Imbriani, 2002. "Do Multinational Enterprises Affect Domestic Firms Productivity?," Quaderni DSEMS fr_se_2002, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- FERRAGINA, Anna Maria, 2013.
"The Impact of FDI on Firm Survival and Employment: A Comparative Analysis for Turkey and Italy,"
CELPE Discussion Papers
127, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Anna Maria Ferragina & Fernanda Mazzotta & Erol Taymaz & Kamil Yilmaz, 2013. "The Impact Of Fdi On Firm Survival And Employment: A Comparative Analysis For Turkey And Italy," ERSA conference papers ersa13p1211, European Regional Science Association.
- Ferragina, Anna & Pittiglio, Rosanna & Reganati, Filippo, 2012. "Multinational status and firm exit in the Italian manufacturing and service sectors," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 363-372.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.