FDI from emerging to advanced countries: some insights on the acquisition strategies and on the performance of target firms
AbstractThe paper deals with acquisitions from emerging to advanced countries and the performances of the target firms. We have used descriptive statistics to investigate the strategies and the impact of the entry of emerging multinational companies (EMNCs) from Brazil, Russia, India and China (BRIC) on the performance of firms acquired in Europe, North America and Japan between 2000 and 2007. The results show that EMNCs do not always acquire firms with a high pre acquisition performance and that they do not significantly increase the post acquisition profitability of the target firms. Nevertheless, EMNCs contribute to increase target firms’ productivity and sales and to slow down their loss of jobs. We also show the importance of the acquisition experience of the acquiring firms. Experienced EMNCs not only acquire firms with a higher pre acquisition performance, but also contribute to increase more significantly the productivity and sales of the target firms. Ultimately, we highlight the differences in the sizes and the technology intensity of the target firms acquired by experienced and inexperienced EMNCs to provide further insights about the strategies and the effects of acquisitions from emerging to advanced countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by FrancoAngeli Editore in its journal ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE.
Volume (Year): 2011/1 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=13
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
- P47 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - Performance and Prospects
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Valeria Gattai, 2013. "The Dragon and the Elephant on the way to Italy," Working Papers 248, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2013.
- Kearney, Colm, 2012. "Emerging markets research: Trends, issues and future directions," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 159-183.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.