Measuring the price elasticity of import demand in the destination markets of italian exports
AbstractWe compare the price elasticity of import demand in the destination markets of Italian exports to the price elasticity in the destination markets of the other main euro-zone countries’ exports. We use the elasticities of substitution across varieties estimated for each destination market by Broda, Greenfield and Weinstein (2006). We find that Italy exports to markets that have, on average, lower price elasticity than the markets to which France, Germany and Spain sell their exports. The result is mainly driven by the motor vehicle and other transport equipment sectors. Net of these two industries, the average export elasticities of the four countries are basically identical. The sectoral and geographical composition of Italian exports therefore does not seem to expose them to a relatively more elastic demand, contrary to the indications found in part of the literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by FrancoAngeli Editore in its journal ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE.
Volume (Year): 2011/1 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=13
Other versions of this item:
- Alberto Felettigh & Stefano Federico, 2010. "Measuring the price elasticity of import demand in the destination markets of Italian exports," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 776, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Marco Sanfilippo, 2012.
"China’s competition and the export price strategies of developed countries,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Marco Sanfilippo, 2013. "China's Competition and the Export Price Strategies of Developed Countries," Working Papers Series wp2013_02.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Economia e Dell'Impresa.
- Donatella Baiardi & Carluccio Bianchi & Eleonora Lorenzini, 2013. "The Clothing Export Performance and Prospects for Advanced and Emerging Economies: Evidence from a Panel Data Analysis (new version)," DEM Working Papers Series 040, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Management.
- Donatella Baiardi & Carluccio Bianchi & Eleonora Lorenzini, 2013. "The Clothing Export Performance and Prospects for Advanced and Emerging Economies: Evidence from a Panel Data Analysis," DEM Working Papers Series 038, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Management.
- Sónia Cabral & Cristina Manteu, 2011. "The price elasticity of external demand: how does Portugal compare with other euro area countries?," Working Papers w201127, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.