Os três estados da moeda. Abordagem interdisciplinar do fato monetário
AbstractBased on an interdisciplinary approach (economics, sociology, anthropology and history), this article aims at elucidating what can be called the nature of money, drawing from works published in Aglietta and Orléan (1998) and Théret (2006). The nature of money is to be related to its quasiuniversal presence in different types of societies, and to seize it, we examine the three states in which a currency can be observed ? incorporated, objectified, institutionalised ?, the way each of these states is generating a particular form of monetary reliability ? ethical (trust), methodic (confidence), and hierarchical (credibility), and their articulation. Money as currency can also be grasped through its three functional forms? account, ?monnayage?, and payment ? constitutive of its intimate structure which is reproduced by their dynamic linking. In conclusion, we present a matrix correlating states and functional forms of money, and develop the idea of money as a cultural capital from which we draw two of its features which most of the time are discarded: value is granted to a money only in the societal environment where it is recognised and functions as a cultural capital; as an operator of societal totalization, money is also operating the naturalisation of social relationships, which, save in periods of crisis, allows the distributive dimension of the monetary regimes and correlated social and territorial conflicts to be concealed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Instituto de Economia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP) in its journal Revista Economia e Sociedade.
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Caixa Postal: 6135 - CEP 13083-970, Campinas - SP - Brasil
Phone: (019) 788-5726
Fax: (019) 289-1512
Web page: http://www.eco.unicamp.br/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Théret, Bruno, 2008. "Os três estados da moeda. Abordagem interdisciplinar do fato monetário," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4931, Paris Dauphine University.
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Michel Servet, 1993. "L'institution monétaire de la société selon Karl Polanyi," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 44(6), pages 1127-1150.
- Jean-Michel Servet & Éric Froment & Bernard Courbis, 1990. "A propos du concept de monnaie," Cahiers d'Économie Politique, Programme National Persée, vol. 18(1), pages 5-29.
- Jean-Michel Servet, 1993. "L'institution monétaire de la société selon Karl Polanyi," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(6), pages 1127-1150.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonio Carlos Macedo e Silva).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.