O todo e as partes: uma análise da desigualdade de crédito entre os estados brasileiros e os determinantes do crédito bancário com a aplicação de dados em painel
AbstractThis paper deals with the distribution of banking credit and branchs by Brazilian states between 1994 and 2002. Besides the report of the major changes in the National Financial System at that period, it shows also some figures of concentration and dynamics of state-level banking credit and, with finer statistical tools, some inferences of the determinants of banking credit in Brazil, based upon Panel Data Analysis. The main results point out to significant credit concentration in the Southeast region (especially São Paulo) and, as its major determinant, the change in the shares control of banks with sharp regional presence ? deriving of mergers and acquisitions in the sector along this period. That control changing have had as its corollary the transfer of strategical decisions ? viz. credit-related decisions ?, concentrating them in the Southeast. Against our expectations at the beginning of the paper, the privatization of state-owned banks did not show important effects on the level of banking credit.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Instituto de Economia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP) in its journal Revista Economia e Sociedade.
Volume (Year): 22 (2004)
Issue (Month): (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Caixa Postal: 6135 - CEP 13083-970, Campinas - SP - Brasil
Phone: (019) 788-5726
Fax: (019) 289-1512
Web page: http://www.eco.unicamp.br/
More information through EDIRC
Banking competition; Banking credit; Regional economics; Regional economic inequalities.;
Other versions of this item:
- Marcos Roberto Vasconcelos & Luiz Guilherme Scorzafave & José Ricardo Fucidji & Dannyel Lopes de Assis, 2003. "O Todo e as Partes: uma Análise da Desigualdade de Crédito Entre os Estados Brasileiros e os Determinantes do Crédito Bancário com a Aplicação de Dados em Painel," Anais do XXXI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 31th Brazilian Economics Meeting] e51, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonio Carlos Macedo e Silva).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.