The Economic Impact of Cloud Computing on Business Creation, Employment and Output in Europe. An application of the Endogenous Market Structures Approach to a GPT innovation
AbstractCloud computing is a new general purpose Internet-based technology through which information is stored in servers and provided as a service and on-demand to clients. Adopting the endogenous market structures approach to macroeconomics, we analyze the economic impact of the gradual introduction of cloud computing and we emphasize its role in fostering business creation and competition thanks to the reduction of the fixed costs of entry in ICT capital. Our calculations based on a DSGE model show a significative impact for the European Union with the creation of a few hundred thousands new SMEs and a significant contribution to growth. Governments could enhance these benefits by subsidizing the adoption of cloud computing solutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Faculteit Economie en Bedrijfswetenschappen in its journal Review of Business and Economics.
Volume (Year): LIV (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Endogenous market structure; Cloud computing; Utility computing; General purpose technology; Firms’ Entry; Business Cycle;
Other versions of this item:
- F. Etro, 2009. "The Economic Impact of Cloud Computing on Business Creation, Employment and Output in Europe. An application of the Endogenous Market Structures Approach to a GPT innovation," Review of Business and Economic Literature, Intersentia, vol. 54(2), pages 179-209, June.
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Colciago, Andrea & Etro, Federico, 2010.
"Real business cycles with Cournot competition and endogenous entry,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1101-1117, December.
- Andrea Colciago & Federico Etro, 2007. "Real Business Cycles with Cournot Competition and Endogenous Entry," Working Papers 135, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2008.
- Colciago, Andrea & Etro, Federico, 2007. "Real Business Cycles with Cournot Competition and Endogenous Entry," MPRA Paper 7326, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 25 Feb 2008.
- Vahagn Jerbashian & Anna Kochanova, 2012. "The Impact of Telecommunication Technologies on Competition in Services and Goods Markets: Empirical Evidence," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp463, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Jerbashian, Vahagn & Kochanovay, Anna, 2012. "The impact of telecommunication technologies on competition in services and goods markets: Empirical evidence," 23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012 60377, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hilde Roos) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Hilde Roos to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.