Hirschman and Irish Industrial Policy
AbstractIn this article we examine the origins of Whitaker’s export oriented industrial policy and the political management of its implementation. Whitaker appointed academic economic advisors, including Louden Ryan, to a Capital Investment Advisory Committee in 1956. The advice from this committee was to become a cornerstone of Whitaker’s industrial policy. Using the archives of the Statistical and Social Inquiry Society of Ireland (SSISI), we show that industrial policy at its inception was shaped by the economic theories of Hirschman (1958). Hirschman’s theories were adopted for Ireland’s vision of economic development via the writings and counsel of Ryan.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economic and Social Studies in its journal Economic and Social Review.
Volume (Year): 41 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esr.ie
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Roland, Gerard, 1995.
"The Design of Reform Packages under Uncertainty,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1207-23, December.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Roland, Gérard, 1993. "The Design of Reform Packages Under Uncertainty," CEPR Discussion Papers 860, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Gérard Roland, 1995. "The design of reform packages under uncertainty," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9607, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Holger Görg & Frances Ruane, 2000. "An Analysis of Backward Linkages in the Irish Electronics Sector," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 31(3), pages 215-235.
- Frank Barry & Mary E. Daly, 2011. "Mr. Whitaker and Industry:Setting the Record Straight," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 42(2), pages 159â168.
- Patrick Paul Walsh & Ciara Whelan, 2011. "Mr Whitaker and Industry: Setting the Record Straight–A Reply to Barry and Daly," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 42(2), pages 169â175.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.