What’s Been Happening To Concentration in Irish Industry 1991-2001
AbstractThis paper estimates concentration in Irish manufacturing industry (1991-2001) by applying the McCloughan and Abounoori technique for calculating the concentration ratio given grouped data. The results suggest high aggregate concentration, which appears less a function of multi-plant operations than in the past, possibly reflecting industrial policy changes. Industrial concentration appears higher on average in Ireland than in other countries and there is a significant relationship between concentration and upper-tail size inequalities, suggesting that it is the top 1 or 2 firms that typically determine concentration. Concentration does not appear to vary with foreign ownership or export activity in Irish industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economic and Social Studies in its journal Economic and Social Review.
Volume (Year): 36 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esr.ie
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Mccloughan & Esmaiel Abounoori, 2003. "How to estimate market concentration given grouped data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(8), pages 973-983.
- Valerie Cerra & Jarkko Soikkeli & Sweta C. Saxena, 2003.
"How Competitive is Irish Manufacturing?,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 34(2), pages 173-193.
- Patrick McCloughan, 2004. "Construction sector concentration: evidence from Britain," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(9), pages 979-990.
- Gerry E. Boyle, 2004. "Hall-Roeger Tests of Market Power in Irish Manufacturing Industries," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 35(3), pages 289-304.
- O'Malley, Eoin, 2004. "Competitive Performance in Irish Industry," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), vol. 2004(4-Winter), pages 66-101.
- Carl Gjersem, 2004. "Policies Bearing on Product Market Competition and Growth in Europe," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 378, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.