Efficiency in Northern Ireland Hospitals - A Non-parametric Analysis
AbstractThe study examines the technical, scale and size efficiency of acute hospitals in Northern Ireland over the six-year period, 1986-1992. The efficiency estimates are used to investigate whether the empirical evidence supports the subsequent current rationalisation policy for hospital provision in Northern Ireland. Non-parametric analysis is used to measure the efficiency of larger and smaller hospitals relative to best practice. The results cautiously support the current policy of expanding larger hospitals and restructuring/closing smaller hospitals, but also indicate that the expansion of large hospitals may not yield substantial efficiency gains.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economic and Social Studies in its journal Economic and Social Review.
Volume (Year): 30 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esr.ie
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maindiratta, Ajay, 1990. "Largest size-efficient scale and size efficiencies of decision-making units in data envelopment analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 57-72.
- David Parkin & Bruce Hollingsworth, 1997. "Measuring production efficiency of acute hospitals in Scotland, 1991-94: validity issues in data envelopment analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(11), pages 1425-1433.
- Dranove, David, 1998. "Economies of scale in non-revenue producing cost centers: Implications for hospital mergers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 69-83, January.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 1994. "Frontier estimation: How useful a tool for health economics?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 317-322, October.
- Brenda Gannon, 2005.
"Testing for Variation in Technical Efficiency of Hospitals in Ireland,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 36(3), pages 273-294.
- Gannon, Brenda, 2005. "Testing for Variation in Technical Efficiency of Hospitals in Ireland," Papers HRBWP20, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Simões, Pedro & Cunha Marques, Rui, 2009. "Performance and Congestion Analysis of the Portuguese Hospital Services," MPRA Paper 16940, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.