Unbundling in the Telecommunications and the Electricity Sectors: How Far should it Go?
AbstractIn this paper we discuss the European regulation policy regarding vertical separation in communications and electricity industries. In the electricity sector the discussion concerns ownership unbundling while in communications the recent regulatory debate is about functional separation. We conclude that for electricity, ownership unbundling seems to be the best option to achieve competition in wholesale markets although there is still some risks concerning investment. Instead, for the communication sector the regulatory options are deeply dependent on the intensity of network competition between operators that combine different technological platforms. Technology also seems to be a key driver for diverse regulatory approaches concerning the unbundling requirement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Research Studies Journal in its journal European Research Studies Journal.
Volume (Year): XV (2012)
Issue (Month): Special Issue on Energy ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.ersj.eu/
Unbundling; Communications; Electricity; Next Generation Networks;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- von der Fehr, N-H.M. & Amundsen , E.S. & Bergman, L., 2005.
"The Nordic Market: Signs of Stress?,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0525, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pindyck Robert S., 2007.
"Mandatory Unbundling and Irreversible Investment in Telecom Networks,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-25, September.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 2004. "Mandatory Unbundling and Irreversible Investment in Telecom Networks," NBER Working Papers 10287, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joskow, P.L., 2004.
"Transmission Policy in the United States,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0454, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Michał Grajek & Lars-Hendrik R�ller, 2012.
"Regulation and Investment in Network Industries: Evidence from European Telecoms,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(1), pages 189 - 216.
- Michal Grajek & Lars-Hendrik Röller, 2009. "Regulation and Investment in Network Industries: Evidence from European Telecoms," ESMT Research Working Papers ESMT-09-004, ESMT European School of Management and Technology.
- Michał Grajek & Lars-Hendrik Röller, 2009. "Regulation and Investment in Network Industries: Evidence from European Telecoms," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-039, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Jason WHALLEY & Peter CURWEN, 2008. "Is Functional Separation BT-Style the Answer?," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(71), pages 145-168, 3rd quart.
- Pollitt, Michael, 2008.
"The arguments for and against ownership unbundling of energy transmission networks,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 704-713, February.
- Pollitt, M., 2007. "The arguments for and against ownership unbundling of energy transmission networks," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0737, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Giovanni Fraquelli & Massimiliano Piacenza & Davide Vannoni, 2005. "Cost Savings From Generation and Distribution with an Application to Italian Electric Utilities," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 289-308, November.
- Growitsch, Christian & Stronzik, Marcus, 2011. "Ownership Unbundling of Gas Transmission Networks - Empirical Evidence," EWI Working Papers 2011-7, Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2006.
"Markets for Power in the United States: An Interim Assessment,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 1-36.
- Joskow, Paul L., 2005. "Markets for Power in the United States: An Interim Assessment," Working paper 270, Regulation2point0.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2005. "Markets For Power In The United States - An Interim Assessment," Working Papers 0512, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- David Mandy & David E. M. Sappington, 2004.
"Incentives for Sabotage in Vertically Related Industries,"
0404, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 16 Dec 2004.
- David Mandy & David Sappington, 2007. "Incentives for sabotage in vertically related industries," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 235-260, June.
- Pio Baake & Brigitte Preißl (Eds.). Johannes M. Bauer & Per Björstedt & Elena Gallo & Anders Henten & Sven Lindmark & Martijn Poel & Enzo Pontarollo & Knud Erik Skouby & Jason Whalley, 2006. "Local Loop Unbundling and Bitstream Access: Regulatory Practice in Europe and the U.S," DIW Berlin: Politikberatung kompakt, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, volume 20, number pbk20.
- Carliss Y. Baldwin & Kim B. Clark, 2000. "Design Rules, Volume 1: The Power of Modularity," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262024667, June.
- David Sappington, 2006. "On the Merits of Vertical Divestiture," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 171-191, November.
- Martin Cave & Keiko Hatta, 2009. "Transforming telecommunications technologies--policy and regulation," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 488-505, Autumn.
- Kirsch, Fabian & Hirschhausen, Christian von, 2008.
"Regulation of NGN: Structural Separation, Access Regulation, or No Regulation at All?,"
8822, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabian KIRSCH & Christian von HIRSCHHAUSEN, 2008. "Regulation of NGN: Structural Separation, Access Regulation, or No Regulation at All?," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(69), pages 63-84, 1st quart.
- Kaserman, David L & Mayo, John W, 1991. "The Measurement of Vertical Economies and the Efficient Structure of the Electric Utility Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(5), pages 483-502, September.
- Vickers, John, 1995. "Competition and Regulation in Vertically Related Markets," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 1-17, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Giannakopoulou).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.