Abnormal Returns on CEFs and in Pre-and-Post-Credit-Crunch Periods
AbstractCompared to previous research, present work extends existing literature by considering if market performance, in Athens Stock Exchange, alternates the mean-reverting properties of Closed-end Funds’ discount and as a result affects potential realization of abnormal returns. Employing cointegration analysis, reported results indicate that, examining an equally weighted portfolio of funds, when market performance characterized as moderate, there is evidence suggesting market inefficiency while; during the recent turmoil period due to the credit crisis evidences do not indicate potential realization of abnormal returns. However, individual data examination gives mixed results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Research Studies Journal in its journal European Research Studies Journal.
Volume (Year): XIV (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.ersj.eu/
Close-end Funds’ Discount-based Strategies; Cointegration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dominic Gasbarro & Richard D. Johnson & J. Kenton Zumwalt, 2003. "Evidence on the Mean-Reverting Tendencies of Closed-End Fund Discounts," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 38(2), pages 273-291, 05.
- Jurgen A Doornik & Henrik Hansen, .
"An omnibus test for univariate and multivariate normalit,"
W4&91., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Jurgen A. Doornik & Henrik Hansen, 2008. "An Omnibus Test for Univariate and Multivariate Normality," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(s1), pages 927-939, December.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Juselius, Katarina, 2006. "The Cointegrated VAR Model: Methodology and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199285679.
- Sias, Richard W & Starks, Laura T & Tinic, Seha M, 2001. "Is Noise Trader Risk Priced?," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 24(3), pages 311-29, Fall.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Pontiff, Jeffrey, 1995. "Closed-end fund premia and returns Implications for financial market equilibrium," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 341-370, March.
- Thompson, Rex, 1978. "The information content of discounts and premiums on closed-end fund shares," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2-3), pages 151-186.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Brauer, Greggory A, 1988. " Closed-End Fund Shares' Abnormal Returns and the Information Content of Discounts and Premiums," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 113-127, March.
- Khorana, Ajay & Wahal, Sunil & Zenner, Marc, 2002. "Agency Conflicts in Closed-End Funds: The Case of Rights Offerings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(02), pages 177-200, June.
- repec:ner:carlos:info:hdl:10016/3319 is not listed on IDEAS
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Laurence Copeland, 2007.
"Arbitrage Bounds and the Time Series Properties of the Discount on UK Closed-End Mutual Funds,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1-2), pages 313-330.
- Laurence Copeland, 2005. "Arbitrage Bounds and the Time Series Properties of the Discount on UK Closed-End Mutual Funds," Finance 0504007, EconWPA.
- Copeland, Laurence, 2006. "Arbitrage Bounds and the Time Series Properties of the Discount on UK Closed-End Mutual Funds," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2006/11, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Brickley, James A. & Schallheim, James S., 1985. "Lifting the Lid on Closed-End Investment Companies: A Case of Abnormal Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(01), pages 107-117, March.
- Brauer, Greggory A., 1984. "`Open-ending' closed-end funds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 491-507, December.
- Jeroen J.M. Kremers & Neil R. Ericsson & Juan J. Dolado, 1992.
"The power of cointegration tests,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
431, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gordon Gemmill & Dylan C. Thomas, 2002. "Noise Trading, Costly Arbitrage, and Asset Prices: Evidence from Closed-end Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2571-2594, December.
- Eric James Higgins & Shawn Howton & Shelly Howton, 2003. "An Analysis of Closed-end Fund Seasoned Equity Offerings," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 26(2), pages 243-257.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Giannakopoulou).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.