The Role of IT-Focused Business Indicators in Managing Regional Development and Innovation
AbstractGovernments are increasingly focusing on achieving growth at regional, national and international levels. Research and practice indicates that innovation is a key driver for achieving this goal. Unfortunately, finding efficient ways to promote and manage innovation is not a straightforward task. It depends on potentially conflicting parameters that are critical for turning innovative ideas into local and national economic prosperity. To address the challenge, regional and national governments are adopting best-practice vehicles of innovation management. In this article, we focus on one such vehicle, namely business incubators. After presenting basic definitions, we provide quantitative and qualitative research findings on the positive effects that incubators may have on regional development. These findings are often constrained by lack of access of researchers in the internal structure of incubators, thus providing only an “outside-in” viewpoint. Our involvement in the development of an IT-focused incubator in the UK provided new research insights, from an “inside-out” perspective. The latter is presented in terms of an integrated incubator model and the structure of its components is described and analyzed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Research Studies Journal in its journal European Research Studies Journal.
Volume (Year): XIV (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.ersj.eu/
Business Incubation; Technology-based Innovation; IT-focused incubators; Regional Development; Innovation Management;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- M15 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - IT Management
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooper, Arnold C., 1985. "The role of incubator organizations in the founding of growth-oriented firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 75-86.
- Maximilian Zedtwitz & Rosa Grimaldi, 2006. "Are Service Profiles Incubator-Specific? Results from an Empirical Investigation in Italy," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 459-468, 07.
- Rothwell, R. & Freeman, C. & Horlsey, A. & Jervis, V. T. P. & Robertson, A. B. & Townsend, J., 1974. "SAPPHO updated - project SAPPHO phase II," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 258-291, November.
- Greene, Patricia Gene & Butler, John Sibley, 1996. "The minority community as a natural business incubator," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 51-58, May.
- Bollingtoft, Anne & Ulhoi, John P., 2005. "The networked business incubator--leveraging entrepreneurial agency?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 265-290, March.
- Murphy, Gregory B. & Trailer, Jeff W. & Hill, Robert C., 1996. "Measuring performance in entrepreneurship research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 15-23, May.
- Sean M. Hackett & David M. Dilts, 2004. "A Systematic Review of Business Incubation Research," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 55-82, 01.
- Danny Miller, 1983. "The Correlates of Entrepreneurship in Three Types of Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(7), pages 770-791, July.
- Lois Peters & Mark Rice & Malavika Sundararajan, 2004. "The Role of Incubators in the Entrepreneurial Process," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 83-91, 01.
- Merrifield, D. Bruce, 1987. "New business incubators," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 277-284.
- Feeser, Henry R. & Willard, Gary E., 1989. "Incubators and performance: A comparison of high- and low-growth high-tech firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(6), pages 429-442, November.
- Rudy Aernoudt, 2004. "Incubators: Tool for Entrepreneurship?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 127-135, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Giannakopoulou).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.