Value Relevance Of Institutional Investors
AbstractIn this paper we investigate the influence of institutional investors on share prices using data from companies quoted on the Athens Stock Exchange. For finance theorists the value of an investment, real or financial, is a function of its expected benefits and the riskiness of these benefits. Whatever influences are exerted by the structure of equity ownership are diversified away by efficient risk-averse investors. Managerial and agency theorists argue that the particular ownership structure may have an effect on share value or returns. Their arguments are based (mainly) on the consequences of the separation of ownership from control. In addition to traditional methods of estimation we have used Chamberlain’s (1982) multivariate panel data estimator, which allows for arbitrary patterns of error autocorrelation and parameter temporal behavior. Among all alternative methods of estimation used, only this one produced a statistically significant and econometrically well specified relationship between share prices and institutional shareholdings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Research Studies Journal in its journal European Research Studies Journal.
Volume (Year): VII (2004)
Issue (Month): 3-4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.ersj.eu/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Thonet, P J & Poensgen, O H, 1979. "Managerial Control and Economic Performance in Western Germany," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 23-37, September.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1983. "The Structure of Ownership and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 375-90, June.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Jacquemin, Alexis & de Ghellinck, Elisabeth, 1980. "Familial control, size and performance in the largest French firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 81-91, January.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1986.
"Large Shareholders and Corporate Control,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 461-88, June.
- Leech, D. & Leahy, J., 1989.
"Ownership Structure, Control Type Classifications And The Performance Of Large British Companies,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
345, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Leech, Dennis & Leahy, John, 1991. "Ownership Structure, Control Type Classifications and the Performance of Large British Companies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(409), pages 1418-37, November.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
- Holl, Peter, 1975. "Effect of Control Type on the Performance of the Firm in the U.K," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(4), pages 257-71, June.
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411.
- Pound, John, 1988. "Proxy contests and the efficiency of shareholder oversight," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 237-265, January.
- Short, Helen, 1994. " Ownership, Control, Financial Structure and the Performance of Firms," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 203-49, September.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1990. "Additional evidence on equity ownership and corporate value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 595-612, October.
- Radice, H K, 1971. "Control Type, Profitability and Growth in Large Firms: an Empirical Study," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(323), pages 547-62, September.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1971. "The Estimation of the Variances in a Variance-Components Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 12(1), pages 1-13, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Giannakopoulou).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.