Different Perspectives on Cross-Compliance
AbstractCross-compliance has proven its effectiveness, as can be shown by looking at the Swiss experience with cross-compliance since 1999. Besides describing the existing cross-compliance practices in Switzerland, the paper shows different perspectives on the efficiency and fairness of cross-compliance. It concludes that transaction cost advantages justify cross-compliance only in few cases. Usually, it will be more efficient to decouple social and environmental policy. The strong support for cross-compliance by the Swiss population is explained by a perceived unfairness in the distribution of property rights between farmers and society. If property rights would be redistributed, there probably would be no more need for cross-compliance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by White Horse Press in its journal Environmental Values.
Volume (Year): 14 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.erica.demon.co.uk
Agricultural policy; Tinbergen rule; transaction costs;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
- Q2 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Laure Latruffe & Stefan Mann, 2009. "Another look at the distribution of direct payments: The link with part-time farming," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 200902, INRA UMR SMART.
- Solovyeva, Irina & Nuppenau, Ernst-August, 4. "Improving Measures for Targeting Agri-Environmental Payments: The Case of High Nature Value Farming," Politica Agricola Internazionale - International Agricultural Policy, Edizioni L’Informatore Agrario, issue 4.
- Solovyeva, Irina & Nuppenau, Ernst-August, 2012. "Improving Measures for Targeting Agri-Environmental Payments: The Case of High Nature Value Farming," 126th Seminar, June 27-29, 2012, Capri, Italy 125648, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Robert Finger, 2008. "Impacts of Agricultural Policy Reforms on Crop Yields," EuroChoices, The Agricultural Economics Society, vol. 7(3), pages 24-25, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrew Johnson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.