Climate Change, Economic Analysis and Sustainable Development
AbstractThis paper discusses the limitations, omissions and value judgements of the application of conventional economic analysis in the evaluation of climate change mitigation policies. It is argued that these have biased the result of the assessment models towards the recommendation of less aggressive mitigation strategies. Consequently, this paper questions whether they provide appropriate policy recommendations. The unequal distribution of rights implicitly assumed in conventional economic analyses applied to climate change is questioned and an alternative approach considering a distribution of rights consistent with sustainable development is put forward. Finally, the points that an analysis consistent with sustainable development should take into account are presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by White Horse Press in its journal Environmental Values.
Volume (Year): 13 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.erica.demon.co.uk
Climate change; emissions control; evaluation of policies; future generations; institutional innovations; sustainable development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- Q01 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - Sustainable Development
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Juan Antonio Duro Moreno & Emilio Padilla Rosa, 2006.
"Análisis de los factores determinantes de las desigualdades internacionales en las emisiones de CO2 per cápita aplicando el enfoque distributivo: una metodología de descomposición por factores de ,"
wpdea0602, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Juan Antonio Duro Moreno & Emilio Padilla Rosa, . "Análisis De Los Factores Determinantes De Las Desigualdades Internacionales En Las Emisiones De Co2 Per Cápita Aplicando El Enfoque Distributivo: Una Metodología De Descomposición Por Factores De ," Working Papers 25-05 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrew Johnson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.