Research on corporate social responsibility and disclosure in Portugal
AbstractPurpose – This descriptive paper seeks to explore the role of Portuguese academics within corporate social responsibility and disclosure (CSR&D) research. It aims to give some insight into the nature and the extent of research on CSR&D being undertaken by Portuguese authors. Design/methodology/approach – This review specifically targeted international journals to see how much Portuguese research had penetrated the international business, management and accounting (BMA) academic discourse. The research that is reported in this paper is based on an electronic search of the online databases which include journals in these areas. The paper reviews journal articles published in BMA journals over the period 1998 to 2008. Findings – The paper reaches several conclusions: the volume of published research in international journals is still very low; most papers focus on CSR; research is overwhelmingly empirical in orientation; and most papers focus on Portugal. Hence, there is great scope for expanding the amount of research on CSR&D in Portugal, as well as improving the diversity of its content and its geographical coverage. Research limitations/implications – The paper is not expected to be a complete study, but rather a stimulus for future research. It is intended to provide a basis for comparison with further studies on CSR&D research in Portugal with studies from other geographical areas. Originality/value – The paper provides the first survey on CSR&D research in Portugal. It also provides the first opportunity to reflect on the current state of these still emerging academic fields.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Social Responsibility Journal.
Volume (Year): 7 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manuel Branco & Lúcia Rodrigues, 2008. "Factors Influencing Social Responsibility Disclosure by Portuguese Companies," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 83(4), pages 685-701, December.
- Conceição Soares, 2008. "Corporate Legal Responsibility: A Levinasian Perspective," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 81(3), pages 545-553, September.
- Rego, Arménio & Cunha, Miguel Pina e, 2008. "Authentizotic climates and employee happiness: Pathways to individual performance?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(7), pages 739-752, July.
- Manuel Branco & LÃºcia Rodrigues, 2006. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Resource-Based Perspectives," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 69(2), pages 111-132, December.
- Cunha, Miguel Pina e & Rego, Armenio & Cunha, Joao Vieira da, 2007. "Ecocentric Management: An Update," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp516, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Harris).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.