The persistence of earnings and earnings components after the adoption of IFRS
AbstractPurpose – This paper seeks to examine the persistence of earnings and earnings components after the adoption of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). Design/methodology/approach – The study analyses two years before and two years after the adoption of IFRS in order to examine whether the adoption of IFRS materially affects the persistence, as well as the explanatory power of earnings and earnings components. Findings – The results confirm that disaggregating reported earnings into operating income, non-operating income and extraordinary charge and credit, captures differences in the information content of the underlying events. Consequently, earnings disaggregation can be used to improve prediction of future profitability. The results suggest that IFRS measurement and reporting guidelines do not seem to improve the persistence of earnings and earnings components. Originality/value – This is the first study that examines whether the mandatory adoption of IFRS has an impact on the information content of earnings components for future profitability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Managerial Finance.
Volume (Year): 36 (2010)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mary E. Barth & Wayne R. Landsman & Mark H. Lang, 2008. "International Accounting Standards and Accounting Quality," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 467-498, 06.
- Papadaki, Afroditi, 2005. "Discussion of "Why do national GAAP differ from IAS? The role of culture"," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 351-358.
- Brenda van Tendeloo & Ann Vanstraelen, 2005. "Earnings management under German GAAP versus IFRS," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 155-180.
- Holger Daske & Luzi Hail & Christian Leuz & Rodrigo Verdi, 2008. "Mandatory IFRS Reporting around the World: Early Evidence on the Economic Consequences," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(5), pages 1085-1142, December.
- Ding, Yuan & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas & Stolowy, Herve, 2007.
"Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: Measurement, determinants and implications,"
Journal of Accounting and Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-38.
- Ding, Yuan & Hervé, Stolowy & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas, 2005. "Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: measurement, determinants and implications," Les Cahiers de Recherche 826, HEC Paris.
- Murphy, Ann B., 1999. "Firm Characteristics of Swiss Companies that Utilize International Accounting Standards," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 121-131.
- Ali, Ashiq & Zarowin, Paul, 1992. "Permanent versus transitory components of annual earnings and estimation error in earnings response coefficients," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2-3), pages 249-264, August.
- Harris, Mary S. & Muller III, Karl A., 1999. "The market valuation of IAS versus US-GAAP accounting measures using Form 20-F reconciliations1," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-3), pages 285-312, January.
- Santanu Das, 2012. "The role of leverage and stock-based variables in the prediction of cash flows and earnings - some evidence from India," Afro-Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(1), pages 1-14.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.