The relevance of IFRS to an emerging market: evidence from Greece
AbstractPurpose – This paper aims to examine the relevance of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) in emerging markets, with special reference to the case of Greece. Design/methodology/approach – This paper adopts a mixed methodology relying primarily on secondary sources such as the relevant legislation, published annual reports and reports on the effects of the application of IFRS by Greek firms as well as the results of a postal survey addressed to the finance managers of the top 100 Greek firms. For the postal survey, a modified version of the questionnaire used by Tyrall et al. was adopted. Findings – Although the Greek environment was not appropriate for IFRS application, participants in the survey believe that their adoption improved the quality of financial reporting. The introduction of IFRS increased the reliability, transparency and comparability of the financial statements. Practical implications – This study provides insights regarding the extent to which the introduction of IFRS influenced the accounting information supplied by firms operating within the European Union. Originality/value – The paper empirically investigates the impact of the introduction of IFRS on the quality of financial statements within the context of emerging markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Managerial Finance.
Volume (Year): 36 (2010)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeanjean, Thomas & Stolowy, Hervé, 2008. "Do accounting standards matter? An exploratory analysis of earnings management before and after IFRS adoption," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 480-494.
- Tyrrall, David & Woodward, David & Rakhimbekova, Almagoul, 2007. "The relevance of International Financial Reporting Standards to a developing country: Evidence from Kazakhstan," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 82-110.
- Apostolos Ballas & Dimosthenis Hevas & David Neal, 1998. "The State of Accounting and the State of the State," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 267-285, September.
- Zeghal, Daniel & Mhedhbi, Karim, 2006. "An analysis of the factors affecting the adoption of international accounting standards by developing countries," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 373-386, 012.
- Holger Daske & Günther Gebhardt, 2006. "International financial reporting standards and experts' perceptions of disclosure quality," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 42(3-4), pages 461-498.
- Apostolos Ballas, 1994. "Accounting in Greece," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 107-121.
- Baker, C. Richard & Barbu, Elena M., 2007. "Trends in research on international accounting harmonization," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 272-304.
- Cooke, Terence E. & Wallace, R. S. Olusegun, 1990. "Financial disclosure regulation and its environment: A review and further analysis," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 79-110.
- Muhammad Jahangir Ali, 2006. "Disclosure harmonization of accounting practices: the case for South Asia," Asian Review of Accounting, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 14(1), pages 168-186, July.
- Peter Standish, 2003. "Evaluating National Capacity for Direct Participation in International Accounting Harmonization: France as a Test Case," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 39(2), pages 186-210.
- Charalambos Spathis & Eleftheria Georgakopoulou, 2007. "The adoption of IFRS in South Eastern Europe: the case of Greece," International Journal of Financial Services Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(1/2), pages 50-63.
- Raluca Valeria RATIU, 2012. "Accounting Regulations for Goodwill at a National, European and International Level," Romanian Statistical Review Supplement, Romanian Statistical Review, vol. 60(4), pages 249-258, November.
- Vasilios-Christos Naoum & Nicos Sykianakis & Christos Tzovas, 2011. "The perceptions of managers of Greek firms regarding the Costs and Benefits ensuing from the adoption of International Financial Reporting Standards in Greece," International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR), Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece, vol. 4(3), pages 59-74, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.