Corporate governance, disclosure and foreign share ownership on the Ghana Stock Exchange
AbstractPurpose – The purpose of this paper is to examine the interaction between corporate disclosure and foreign share ownership on the Ghana Stock Exchange (GSE). Design/methodology/approach – The paper follows the trinary procedure of Aksu and Kosedag and uses the Standard & Poor's transparency and disclosure items in the construction of the disclosure index. Therefore, the paper adopts a panel data analysis covering a period from 2002 to 2007 using the seemingly unrelated regression approach. Findings – The results indicate a statistically significant interaction between corporate disclosures and foreign share ownership among the sample firms. The market value of equity and market-to-book value ratio is documented; free cash flow and financial leverage have statistically significant relationships with foreign share ownership. Originality/value – This is the first of its kind in the country that considers the impact of corporate governance and disclosure on foreign share ownership despite the numerous studies carried out on the GSE.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Managerial Auditing Journal.
Volume (Year): 24 (2009)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ivalina Kalcheva & Karl V. Lins, 2007. "International Evidence on Cash Holdings and Expected Managerial Agency Problems," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(4), pages 1087-1112.
- Fan, Joseph P. H. & Wong, T. J., 2002. "Corporate ownership structure and the informativeness of accounting earnings in East Asia," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 401-425, August.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Salter, Stephen B., 1998. "Corporate financial disclosure in emerging markets: Does economic development matter?," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 211-234.
- Mine Aksu & Arman Kosedag, 2006. "Transparency and Disclosure Scores and their Determinants in the Istanbul Stock Exchange," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(4), pages 277-296, 07.
- Danqing Young & David A. Guenther, 2003. "Financial Reporting Environments and International Capital Mobility," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 553-579, 06.
- Merton, Robert C., 1987.
"A simple model of capital market equilibrium with incomplete information,"
1869-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1987. " A Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium with Incomplete Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 483-510, July.
- R.M. Haniffa & T. E. Cooke, 2002. "Culture, Corporate Governance and Disclosure in Malaysian Corporations," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 38(3), pages 317-349.
- Cooke, Terence E. & Wallace, R. S. Olusegun, 1990. "Financial disclosure regulation and its environment: A review and further analysis," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 79-110.
- Godfred A. Bokpin & Zangina Isshaq & Francis Aboagye-Otchere, 2011. "Ownership structure, corporate governance and corporate liquidity policy: Evidence from the Ghana Stock Exchange," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 262-279, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.