The future of the external audit function
AbstractPurpose – The purpose of this paper is to provide an overview of the challenges and opportunities currently facing external auditors at a time of economic and financial crisis. Design/methodology/approach – The paper has a particular focus on the other contributions to this special issue of Managerial Auditing Journal and provides a reflective synthesis of these while making reference to other relevant literature as appropriate. Findings – The paper puts forward various suggestions for future academic research that might improve auditing practice. Also, the principal aim of this special issue has been to spotlight differing perspectives on some of the perennial problems which have plagued auditing for generations and to suggest possible ways forward. Practical implications – Various suggestions for future academic research that might improve auditing practice are put forward in the paper. Originality/value – Major contemporary issues facing the auditing profession (or industry) are summarized. The paper highlights the diversity of value stances that exists in the audit academy and may (together with the other papers forming part of this special issue) be useful for introducing university students studying auditing at intermediate or advanced levels to a variety of current auditing issues and debates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Managerial Auditing Journal.
Volume (Year): 24 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peecher, Mark E. & Schwartz, Rachel & Solomon, Ira, 2007. "It's all about audit quality: Perspectives on strategic-systems auditing," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 32(4-5), pages 463-485.
- Rihab Khalifa & Nina Sharma & Christopher Humphrey & Keith Robson, 2007. "Discourse and audit change: Transformations in methodology in the professional audit field," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(6), pages 825-854, October.
- Berinde Sorin & Rachisan Paula Ramona, 2013. "The Impact Of Corporate Governance On The Restructuring Operations Of Audited Entities," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 1300-1309, July.
- Ioana Iuliana Pop (Grigorescu) & University Lleida & Oana Raluca Ivan, 2013. "The Role And Utility Of Financial Audit In Romania And Spain - An Empiric Study," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 2(15), pages 17.
- Cristina Boţa-Avram, 2012. "Investigation of External Audit’s Good Practices in the Context of Corporate Governance - Evidence from Romania," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 2(1), pages 7, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.