Securitization and risk: empirical evidence on US banks
AbstractPurpose – This paper aims to offer a comprehensive comparison of the characteristics between banks that securitize and banks that do not and to provide evidence of the capital arbitrage theory of securitization. Design/methodology/approach – First, the fundamental financial similarities and differences between banks that securitize assets and banks that do not participate in the securitization market are tested. Second, variables that help predict whether a bank securitizes assets are analyzed. Third, the determinants of securitization extent in banks that securitize assets are investigated – for general securitization extent and for specific type of asset securitized. Using a sample of 112 banks that securitize different assets, a matched sample of banks that do not securitize based on entity type and size is created. A quarterly panel data set of these banks dating back to 2001 is used. Findings – The results indicate that bank size is a significant determinant of whether a bank securitizes. Further, overall securitization extent is negatively related to the bank's capital ratio (in support of capital arbitrage theory), but this result is primarily driven by credit card securitization. Originality/value – Utilizing a unique data set of quarterly data from bank Call Reports; the panel data set is large relative to past studies. A matched sample approach was used to test fundamental financial similarities and differences between securitizing and non-securitizing banks. In addition to aggregated securitization, an examination was made of how different classes of assets affect the banks' risk-based capital ratios and test the capital arbitrage theory of securitization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Risk Finance.
Volume (Year): 8 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Uluc Aysun & Melanie Guldi & Ralf Hepp, 2010.
"Securitization and the balance sheet channel of monetary transmission,"
2010-18, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Aysun, Uluc & Hepp, Ralf, 2011. "Securitization and the balance sheet channel of monetary transmission," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 2111-2122, August.
- Uluc Aysun & Ralf Hepp, 2010. "Securitization and the Balance Sheet Channel of Monetary Transmission," Fordham Economics Discussion Paper Series dp2010-05, Fordham University, Department of Economics.
- Mario Cerrato & Moorad Choudhry & John Crosby & John Olukuru, 2012.
"Why do UK banks securitize?,"
2012_06, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- DeYoung, Robert & Torna, Gökhan, 2013. "Nontraditional banking activities and bank failures during the financial crisis," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 397-421.
- Deming Wu & Jiawen Yang & Han Hong, 2011. "Securitization and Banks’ Equity Risk," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 95-117, June.
- Christian Calm¨¨s & Raymond Th¨¦oret, 2013. "Is the Canadian Banking System Really ¡°Stronger¡± than the U.S. One?," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 3, pages 1-18, November.
- Michalak, Tobias C. & Uhde, André, 2012. "Credit risk securitization and bank soundness in Europe," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 272-285.
- Chris Stewart & Benn Robertson & Alexandra Heath, 2013. "Trends in the Funding and Lending Behaviour of Australian Banks," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2013-15, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Cardone-Riportella, Clara & Samaniego-Medina, Reyes & Trujillo-Ponce, Antonio, 2010. "What drives bank securitisation? The Spanish experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2639-2651, November.
- Clara Cardone Riportella & Reyes Samaniego Medina & Antonio Trujillo Ponce, 2009. "What do we know about banks securitisation? the spanish experience," Business Economics Working Papers wb093904, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & Madura, Jeff & Marciniak, Marek, 2012. "Bank capital and exposure to the financial crisis," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 64(5), pages 377-392.
- Elizabeth W. Cooper, 2011. "Determinants of off-balance sheet usage in private banks," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 248-259, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.