The effect of capital structure on profitability: an empirical analysis of listed firms in Ghana
AbstractPurpose – This paper seeks to investigate the relationship between capital structure and profitability of listed firms on the Ghana Stock Exchange (GSE) during a five-year period. Design/methodology/approach – Regression analysis is used in the estimation of functions relating the return on equity (ROE) with measures of capital structure. Findings – The results reveal a significantly positive relation between the ratio of short-term debt to total assets and ROE. However, a negative relationship between the ratio of long-term debt to total assets and ROE was found. With regard to the relationship between total debt and return rates, the results show a significantly positive association between the ratio of total debt to total assets and return on equity. Originality/value – The research suggests that profitable firms depend more on debt as their main financing option. In the Ghanaian case, a high proportion (85 percent) of the debt is represented in short-term debt.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Risk Finance.
Volume (Year): 6 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ogebe, Patrick & Ogebe, Joseph & Alewi, Kemi, 2013. "The Impact of Capital Structure on Firms’ Performance in Nigeria," MPRA Paper 46173, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ojah Patrick, Ogebe & Joseph Orinya, Ogebe & Kemi, Alewi, 2013. "The Impact of Capital Structure on Firms’ Performance in Nigeria," MPRA Paper 45986, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 04 Apr 2013.
- Mazen Kebewar, 2013.
"La structure du capital et la profitabilité : Une étude empirique sur données de panel françaises,"
- Mazen Kebewar, 2012. "La structure du capital et la profitabilité : Une étude empirique sur données de panel françaises," Working Papers hal-00751212, HAL.
- Kebewar, mazen, 2012. "La structure du capital et la profitabilité Une étude empirique sur données de panel françaises," MPRA Paper 42446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- B. Matemilola & A. Bany-Ariffin & W. Azman-Saini, 2012. "Financial Leverage and Shareholder’s Required Returns: Evidence from South Africa Corporate Sector," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 601-612, March.
- Imad Zeyad Ramadan, 2013. "Debt-Performance Relation. Evidence from Jordan," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 3(1), pages 323-331, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.