Corporate dividends decisions: evidence from Saudi Arabia
AbstractPurpose – The paper aims to test the stability of dividend policy, test the effect of cash flow on the company's dividend policy, identify the factors that determine a firm's cash dividend payments, and examine the characteristics of dividend-paying and non-paying firms. Design/methodology/approach – The hypotheses are tested using unbalance panel data for a sample of 54 Saudi-listed firms during 1990-2006. Findings – Saudi firms pay out a lower proportion of their cash flows compared to the proportion of dividends of reported earnings. Firms have more flexible dividend policies since they are willing to cut or skip dividends when profit declines and pay no dividends when losses are reported. Lagged dividend payments, profitability, cash flows, and life cycle are determinants of dividend payments. Agency costs are not a critical driver of dividend policy of Saudi firms. Zakat is found to play a role in explaining firm's dividend decisions. Originality/value – This paper is the first to study the determinants of dividend policy in a country where companies are required to pay Islamic zakat.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Risk Finance.
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1998.
"Agency Problems and Dividend Policies Around the World,"
NBER Working Papers
6594, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 2000. "Agency Problems and Dividend Policies around the World," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 1-33, 02.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998. "Agency Problems and Dividend Policies Around the World," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1839, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Espen Eckbo, B. & Verma, Savita, 1994. "Managerial shareownership, voting power, and cash dividend policy," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 33-62, March.
- Baker, H. Kent & Powell, Gary E. & Veit, E. Theodore, 2002. "Revisiting the dividend puzzle: Do all of the pieces now fit?," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 241-261.
- Gugler, Klaus & Yurtoglu, B. Burcin, 2003. "Corporate governance and dividend pay-out policy in Germany," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 731-758, August.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda & Skinner, Douglas J, 1992. " Dividends and Losses," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1837-63, December.
- Aivazian, Varouj & Booth, Laurence & Cleary, Sean, 2003. "Dividend policy and the organization of capital markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 101-121, April.
- Tehmina Khan, 2006. "Company Dividends and Ownership Structure: Evidence from UK Panel Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(510), pages C172-C189, 03.
- Bhat Ramesh & Pandey I M, . "Dividend Behaviour of Indian Companies Under Monetary Policy Restrictions," IIMA Working Papers WP2004-05-07, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Bhat Ramesh & Pandey I M, . "Dividend Decision: A Study of Managers Perceptions," IIMA Working Papers WP1993-02-01_01158, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Brandon Julio & David L. Ikenberry, 2004. "Reappearing Dividends," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 16(4), pages 89-100.
- Alon Brav & John R. Graham & Campbell R. Harvey & Roni Michaely, 2003.
"Payout Policy in the 21st Century,"
NBER Working Papers
9657, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Mitton, Todd, 2004. "Corporate governance and dividend policy in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 409-426, December.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda & Stulz, Rene M., 2006. "Dividend policy and the earned/contributed capital mix: a test of the life-cycle theory," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 227-254, August.
- Aivazian, Varouj A. & Booth, Laurence & Cleary, Sean, 2006. "Dividend Smoothing and Debt Ratings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 41(02), pages 439-453, June.
- Short, Helen & Zhang, Hao & Keasey, Kevin, 2002. "The link between dividend policy and institutional ownership," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 105-122, March.
- Mohammed Amidu & Joshua Abor, 2006. "Determinants of dividend payout ratios in Ghana," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(2), pages 136-145, March.
- B S Bodla & Karam Pal & Jasvir S Sura, 2007. "Examining Application of Lintner’s Dividend Model in Indian Banking Industry," The IUP Journal of Bank Management, IUP Publications, vol. 0(4), pages 40-59, November.
- Higgins, Robert C., 1972. "The Corporate Dividend-Saving Decision," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 1527-1541, March.
- Bond, Michael T. & Mougoue, Mbodja, 1991. "Corporate dividend policy and the partial adjustment model," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 165-178, May.
- Samy Ben Naceur & Mohamed Goaied & Amel Belanes, 2006. "On the Determinants and Dynamics of Dividend Policy," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 6(1-2), pages 1-23.
- Laurence Booth, 2001.
"Capital Structures in Developing Countries,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 87-130, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Harris).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.