The impact of macroeconomic indicators on Vietnamese stock prices
AbstractPurpose – The purpose of this paper is to investigate the effects of macroeconomic indicators (the interest rate and the industrial production) on Vietnamese stock prices. The paper examines how US macroeconomic indicators affect Vietnamese stock prices. Design/methodology/approach – The authors use monthly time series data covering the period from January 2001 to April 2008. The methodology introduced by Nasseh and Strauss and Canova and de Nicolo to investigate the linkage between stock prices and macroeconomic indicators. Findings – This paper provides the first empirical evidence that there are statistically significant associations among the domestic production sector, money markets, and stock prices in Viet Nam. Another novel finding is that the US macroeconomic fundamentals significantly affect Vietnamese stock prices. Finally, the results show that the influence of the US real sector is stronger than that of the money market. Originality/value – Since prior research has focused on developed economies, the authors strongly believe that this paper provides a novel contribution to the existing literature as the authors are the first to examine this issue in Viet Nam.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Risk Finance.
Volume (Year): 10 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fip:fedgws:y:2008:i:jul is not listed on IDEAS
- Owen Lamont, .
"Economic Tracking Portfolios.","
CRSP working papers
489, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Bento J. Lobo, 2002. "Interest Rate Surprises and Stock Prices," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 37(1), pages 73-91, 02.
- David McMillan, 2005. "Time variation in the cointegrating relationship between stock prices and economic activity," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 359-368.
- Paul, Satya & Mallik, Girijasankar, 2003. "Macroeconomic Factors and Bank and Finance Stock Prices: The Australian Experience," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 33(1), pages 23-30, March.
- Canova, Fabio & De Nicolo', Gianni, 1995. "Stock returns and real activity: A structural approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 981-1015, May.
- repec:fip:fedgws:y:2008:i:feb is not listed on IDEAS
- Cumhur Erdem & Cem Kaan Arslan & Meziyet Sema Erdem, 2005. "Effects of macroeconomic variables on Istanbul stock exchange indexes," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(14), pages 987-994.
- Balvers, Ronald J & Cosimano, Thomas F & McDonald, Bill, 1990. " Predicting Stock Returns in an Efficient Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1109-28, September.
- Gjerde, Oystein & Saettem, Frode, 1999. "Causal relations among stock returns and macroeconomic variables in a small, open economy," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 61-74, January.
- Anthony Kyereboah-Coleman & Kwame F. Agyire-Tettey, 2008. "Impact of macroeconomic indicators on stock market performance: The case of the Ghana Stock Exchange," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 9(4), pages 365-378, August.
- Wongbangpo, Praphan & Sharma, Subhash C., 2002. "Stock market and macroeconomic fundamental dynamic interactions: ASEAN-5 countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 27-51.
- Subhani, Muhammad Imtiaz & Hasan, Dr. Syed Akif & Osman, Ms. Amber, 2012. "An Application of GARCH while investigating volatility in stock returns of the World," MPRA Paper 45089, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.