Assessing effectiveness and compliance of banking boards
AbstractPurpose – This paper aims to develop a model to assess the effectiveness and compliance of bank boards, taking into account their unique characteristics, financial industry standards and regulations. Design/methodology/approach – The literature on the roles and effectiveness of boards and directors in the financial industry is reviewed. Findings – The main finding in the literature suggests that evaluating the effectiveness of a board must include characteristics of the entire board as well as individual contributions of directors. Practical implications – Banking boards, more than in the past, must proactively evaluate their effectiveness and compliance with existing rules. Originality/value – The paper proposes a model for assessing the effectiveness and compliance of boards and directors of banking organizations, considering their characteristics, financial industry standards and regulations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance.
Volume (Year): 18 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John A. Wagner III, 1998. "Board Composition and Organizational Performance: Two Studies of Insider/outsider Effects," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(5), pages 655-677, 09.
- David A. Becher & Terry L. Campbell II & Melissa B. Frye, 2003.
"Incentive compensation for bank directors: the impact of deregulation,"
871, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- David A. Becher & Terry L. Campbell II & Melissa B. Frye, 2005. "Incentive Compensation for Bank Directors: The Impact of Deregulation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(5), pages 1753-1778, September.
- Mohamed Belkhir, 2009. "Board of directors' size and performance in the banking industry," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(2), pages 201-221, April.
- Yermack, David, 1996. "Higher market valuation of companies with a small board of directors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 185-211, February.
- Klein, April, 1998. "Firm Performance and Board Committee Structure," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(1), pages 275-303, April.
- Murphy, Kevin J. & Zimmerman, Jerold L., 1993. "Financial performance surrounding CEO turnover," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-3), pages 273-315, April.
- Renée B. Adams & Hamid Mehran, 2008. "Corporate performance, board structure, and their determinants in the banking industry," Staff Reports 330, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Kose John & Yiming Qian, 2003. "Incentive features in CEO compensation in the banking industry," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 109-121.
- Jensen, Michael C & Murphy, Kevin J, 1990.
"Performance Pay and Top-Management Incentives,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 225-64, April.
- Jens Hagendorff & Michael Collins & Kevin Keasey, 2007. "Bank Governance and Acquisition Performance," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(5), pages 957-968, 09.
- Alessandro Minichilli & Jonas Gabrielsson & Morten Huse, 2007. "Board Evaluations: making a fit between the purpose and the system," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 609-622, 07.
- Morten Huse & Violina Rindova, 2001. "Stakeholders' Expectations of Board Roles: The Case of Subsidiary Boards," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 153-178, June.
- Andy Mullineux, 2006. "The corporate governance of banks," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 14(4), pages 375-382, November.
- Kaplan, Steven N. & Reishus, David, 1990. "Outside directorships and corporate performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 389-410, October.
- Andres, Pablo de & Vallelado, Eleuterio, 2008. "Corporate governance in banking: The role of the board of directors," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2570-2580, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.