Export-led growth hypothesis: evidence from Papua New Guinea and Fiji
AbstractPurpose – This paper aims to examine the export-led growth hypothesis for Fiji and Papua New Guinea (PNG). Design/methodology/approach – The paper investigates the export-led growth hypothesis for Fiji and PNG who have been facing dismal economic growth performances over the last couple of decades. Findings – Findings of the study suggest that for Fiji there is evidence of export-led growth in the long-run, while for PNG there is evidence of export-led growth in the short-run. Originality/value – The findings of this paper have important messages for policy makers given that export sectors in both countries investigated are underdeveloped due mainly to a sustained period of political instability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 34 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Bolhassani, Marzieh & Hegerty, Scott W., 2011. "Industry trade between Canada and Mexico: Will a weakening peso help Mexican manufacturing in the long run?," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 89-101, August.
- Roberto Dell'Anno & Ferda Halicioglu, 2010.
"An ARDL model of unrecorded and recorded economies in Turkey,"
Journal of Economic Studies,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(6), pages 627-646, September.
- HALICIOGLU, Ferda & Dell’Anno, Roberto, 2009. "An ARDL model of unrecorded and recorded economies in Turkey," MPRA Paper 24982, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2007.
"A Multivariate Causality Analysis of Export and Growth for Turkey,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2007_05, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Halicioglu, Ferda, 2007. "A Multivariate Causality Analysis of Export and Growth for Turkey," MPRA Paper 3565, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Harvey, Hanafiah, 2011. "Exchange-rate volatility and industry trade between the U.S. and Malaysia," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 127-155, June.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Marzieh Bolhasani, 2011. "How Sensitive is U.S.-Canadian Trade to the Exchange Rate: Evidence from Industry Data," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 53-91, February.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Hanafiah Harvey, 2012. "How responsive are Indonesia's bilateral inpayments and outpayments to real depreciation of Rupiah?," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(2), pages 133-143, June.
- Islam, Faridul & Adnan Hye, Qazi Muhammad & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2011.
"Imports-economic growth nexus: ARDL approach to cointegration,"
28462, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Faridul Islam & Qazi Muhammad Adnan Hye & Muhammad Shahbaz, 2012. "Import-economic growth nexus: ARDL approach to cointegration," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(3), pages 194-214, December.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Xi, Dan, 2012. "Exchange rate volatility and domestic consumption: Evidence from Japan," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 326-335.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Rajarshi Mitra, 2009. "The J-Curve at the industry level: evidence from U.S.-India trade," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 1520-1529.
- Jorge M. Andraz & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues, 2010. "What causes economic growth in Portugal: exports or inward FDI?," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(3), pages 267-287, September.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Bolhassani, Marzieh & Hegerty, Scott W., 2010. "The effects of currency fluctuations and trade integration on industry trade between Canada and Mexico," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 212-223, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Harris).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.