How sensitive are Britain's inpayments and outpayments to the value of the British pound
AbstractPurpose – To avoid aggregation bias by using trade data at bilateral level so that we can determine how sensitive are Britain's inpayments and outpayments to the value of the British pound. Design/methodology/approach – The method is based on the bounds testing approach to cointegration and error-correction modeling. Findings – The main finding is that while UK inpayments are not sensitive to the exchange rate, her outpayments are. Research limitations/implications – Future research must concentrate on disaggregating data further, perhaps at commodity level. Practical implications – The results could be used to identify Britain's trading partners against which Britain can devalue the pound and improve her trade balance. Originality/value – No study has attempted to test the impact of real depreciation of the pound on Britain's payments and receipts with her major trading partners.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 32 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cortes, Maria, 2007. "Examining Patterns of Bilateral Trade between Australia and Colombia by Using Cointegration Analysis and Error-Correction Models," Economics Working Papers wp07-20, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Hanafiah Harvey, 2012. "How responsive are Indonesia's bilateral inpayments and outpayments to real depreciation of Rupiah?," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(2), pages 133-143, June.
- Kalyoncu, Huseyin & Yucel, Fatih, 2005.
"An analytical approach on defense expenditure and economic growth: the case of Turkey and Greece,"
4262, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2006.
- Huseyin Kalyoncu & Fatih Yucel, 2006. "An analytical approach on defense expenditure and economic growth: The case of Turkey and Greece," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(5), pages 336-343, November.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Hanafiah Harvey & Scott Hegerty, 2013. "Currency fluctuations and the French–U.S. trade balance: evidence from 118 industries," Empirica, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 237-257, May.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Xi, Dan, 2012. "Exchange rate volatility and domestic consumption: Evidence from Japan," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 326-335.
- Roberto Dell'Anno & Ferda Halicioglu, 2010.
"An ARDL model of unrecorded and recorded economies in Turkey,"
Journal of Economic Studies,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(6), pages 627-646, September.
- HALICIOGLU, Ferda & Dell’Anno, Roberto, 2009. "An ARDL model of unrecorded and recorded economies in Turkey," MPRA Paper 24982, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Jia Xu, 2012. "Impact of exchange rate volatility on commodity trade between U.S. and China: is there a third country effect," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 555-586, July.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Ratha, Artatrana, 2008. "Exchange rate sensitivity of US bilateral trade flows," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 129-141, June.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Rajarshi Mitra, 2009. "The J-Curve at the industry level: evidence from U.S.-India trade," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 1520-1529.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Bolhassani, Marzieh & Hegerty, Scott W., 2011. "Industry trade between Canada and Mexico: Will a weakening peso help Mexican manufacturing in the long run?," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 89-101, August.
- Mohsen Bahmani-oskooee & Massoumeh Hajilee, 2011. "How Fast Wages Adjust to Prices: A Multi Country Analysis," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2404-2413.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Marzieh Bolhasani, 2011. "How Sensitive is U.S.-Canadian Trade to the Exchange Rate: Evidence from Industry Data," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 53-91, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jade Turvey).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.