The effect of exchange-rate risk on exports: Some additional empirical evidence
AbstractThis paper provides some additional empirical evidence on the effect of exchange-rate volatility on exports. The novelties of the study include: a regime-switching model in conditional volatility is employed to better capture the exchange-rate uncertainty; a 2SLS method as suggested by Hsiao is used to estimate a system of the dynamic export equations; and an attempt has been made to reconcile the empirical findings with existing theories. We find that the regime-switching model captures the exchange-rate risks better and the empirical evidence by and large is consistent with Viaene and Vries, who argued that the existence of the forward markets and current account positions of the country would determine the impact of the exchange uncertainty on trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 28 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cortes, Maria, 2007. "Examining Patterns of Bilateral Trade between Australia and Colombia by Using Cointegration Analysis and Error-Correction Models," Economics Working Papers wp07-20, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Petreski, Marjan, 2009. "Analysis of exchange-rate regime effect on growth: theoretical channels and empirical evidence with panel data," Economics Discussion Papers 2009-49, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Christos Floros, 2010. "The impact of the Athens Olympic Games on the Athens Stock Exchange," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(6), pages 647-657, September.
- Andrew J. Abbott & Glauco De Vita, 2011. "Evidence on the impact of exchange rate regimes on bilateral FDI flows," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(3), pages 253-274, July.
- Petreski, Marjan, 2009. "Exchange-rate regime and economic growth: a review of the theoretical and empirical literature," Economics Discussion Papers 2009-31, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Sanja Samirana Pattnayak & Shandre M. Thangavelu, 2011. "Linkages and technology spillovers in the presence of foreign firms: Evidence from the Indian pharmaceutical industry," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(3), pages 275-286, July.
- Mehmood, Sultan, 2013. "Terrorism and the macroeconomy: Evidence from Pakistan," MPRA Paper 44546, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.