Advertising and information: an empirical study of search, experience and credence goods
AbstractInvestigates empirically the importance of buyer characteristics as well as product and service classifications on the informational content of advertising supply by sellers utilizing Yellow Pages advertisements from six US cities. The analysis and tests extend the categories used in previous tests by including so-called “credence goods” by analysing the impact of alternative buyer characteristics as proxies for time and information costs. The intra-city and, to a lesser extent, inter-city comparisons lend support to the contemporary theory of advertising as information.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 22 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shalom Levy & Israel Nebenzahl, 2008. "The influence of product involvement on consumers’ interactive processes in interactive television," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 65-77, March.
- Animesh Animesh & Vandana Ramachandran & Siva Viswanathan, 2005. "Quality Uncertainty And Adverse Selection In Sponsored Search Markets," Working Papers 05-27, NET Institute, revised Oct 2005.
- Franklin Mixon & Rand Ressler, 2000. "A Note on Elasticity and Price Dispersions in the Music Recording Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 465-470, December.
- Fabio FIORILLO & Marco LILLA & Stefano STAFFOLANI, 2013. "Advertising Has Got You On The Run. Well-Being, Consumption and Leisure in a GE model," Working Papers 389, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Lim, Boon C. & Chung, Cindy M.Y., 2011. "The impact of word-of-mouth communication on attribute evaluation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 18-23, January.
- Franklin Mixon & Rand Ressler & M. Gibson, 2009. "False advertising and experience goods: the case of political services in the U.S. senate," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 138(1), pages 83-95, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.