The Estimation of Rational Expectations Models: A Survey
AbstractThe different types of estimators of rational expectations models are surveyed. A key feature is that the model's solution has to be taken into account when it is estimated. The two ways of doing this, the substitution and errors-in-variables methods, give rise to different estimators. In the former case, a generalised least-squares or maximum-likelihood type estimator generally gives consistent and efficient estimates. In the latter case, a generalised instrumental variable (GIV) type estimator is needed. Because the substitution method involves more complicated restrictions and because it resolves the solution indeterminacy in a more arbitary fashion, when there are forward-looking expectations, the errors-in-variables solution with the GIV estimator is the recommended combination.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 18 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gunnar Bårdsen & Eilev S. Jansen & Ragnar Nymoen, 2002. "The Empirical (ir)Relevance of the New Keynesian Phillips Curve," Working Paper Series 2102, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Gunnar Bårdsen & Eilev S. Jansen & Ragnar Nymoen, 2000.
"Model Specification and Inflation Forecast Uncertainty,"
Working Paper Series
1302, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, revised 29 Jan 2002.
- Gunnar BARDSEN & Eilev JANSEN & Ragnar NYMOEN, 2002. "Model Specification and Inflation Forecast Uncertainty," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 67-68, pages 495-517.
- Bjørnstad, Roger & Nymoen, Ragnar, 2008.
"The New Keynesian Phillips Curve Tested on OECD Panel Data,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2(23), pages 1-18.
- Bjørnstad, Roger & Nymoen, Ragnar, 2008. "The New Keynesian Phillips curve tested on OECD panel data," Economics Discussion Papers 2008-4, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Bonomo, M. A. & Brito, R.D., 2001.
"Regras Monetárias e Dinâmica Macroeconomica no Brasil: uma abordagem de expectativas racionais,"
Insper Working Papers
wpe_11, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Marco Antonio Cesar Bonomo & Ricardo D. Brito, 2002. "Regras Monetárias e Dinâmica Macroeconômica no Brasil: Uma Abordagem de Expectativas Racionais," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 56(4), pages 551-589, October.
- Bonomo, Marco Antônio Cesar & Brito, Ricardo Dias Oliveira, 2001. "Regras Monetárias e Dinâmica Macroeconômica no Brasil: Uma Abordagem de Expectativas Racionais," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 410, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Marco Antonio Bonomo & Ricardo D. Brito, 2001. "Regras Monetárias e Dinâmica Macroeconômica no Brasil: Uma Abordagem de Expectativas Racionais," Working Papers Series 28, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Ragnar Nymoen & Gunnar Bardsen & Eilev S. Jansen, 2004. "The empirical relevance of the New Keynesian Phillips curve," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 328, Econometric Society.
- Ullrich, Katrin, 2007.
"Inflation Expectations of Experts and ECB Communication,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
07-054, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ullrich, Katrin, 2008. "Inflation expectations of experts and ECB communication," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 93-108, March.
- Roger Bjørnstad & Ragnar Nymoen, 2006. "Will it float? The New Keynesian Phillips curve tested on OECD panel data," Discussion Papers 463, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Bårdsen, Gunnar & Jansen, Eilev S. & Nymoen, Ragnar, 2003. "Testing the New Keynesian Phillips curve," Memorandum 18/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jade Turvey).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.