Credit creation and control: an unresolved issue in Islamic banking
AbstractPurpose – To reopen for discussion the issue of credit creation and control in the area of Islamic banking. Design/methodology/approach – In view of a rapid expansion of Islamic banking in recent decades, the answer to questions whether Islamic banks can create credit like mainstream banks and, if yes, what methods central banks could use to control it in their case is of paramount importance. An overview of the literature on the subject is provided and credit creation process is explained as background material for the discussion. Findings – The literature on the subject is scanty, controversial and inconclusive. One reason seems to be the mismatch between structural design of Islamic banks and the objectives they are supposed to meet. It is concluded that Islamic banks can create credit in the usual manner but central banks will have to design new tools for credit control applicable to Islamic banks. Research limitations/implications – It is not a rigorous analytical exercise as the main purpose of the paper is to reopen an important issue for discussion. It is an opinioned work and presents rather tentative answers to the questions raised. Practical implications – The findings of the paper may have serious implications for the current structure of Islamic banks and the legal framework for regulating their credit creation activities. Originality/value – The paper draws attention to a rather neglected issue in Islamic banking and offers guidelines to resolve it.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management.
Volume (Year): 1 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Other versions of this item:
- Hasan, Zubair, 2008. "Credit creation and control: an unresolved issue in Islamic banking," MPRA Paper 8130, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Apr 2008.
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hasan, Zubair, 2005. "Islamic banking at the crossroads: theory versus practice," MPRA Paper 2821, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wachtel, Paul, 2001. "Growth and Finance: What Do We Know and How Do We Know It?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 335-62, Winter.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2008.
"Islamic Banks: Profit sharing, equity, leverage lure and credit control,"
11737, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2008.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2008. "Islamic banks:Profit sharing, equity, leverage lure, and credit control," MPRA Paper 30392, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2008.
- Ahmad M. Mashal, 2012. "Islamic Financial in the Global Financial System," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 2(1), pages 207-223, March.
- repec:pra:mprapa:39795 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hasan, Zubair, 2011.
"Money creation and control from Islamic perspective,"
28366, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2011. "Money creation and control from Islamic perspective," MPRA Paper 39796, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 21 Dec 2011.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2008.
"Islamic finance education at graduate level: Current position and challenges,"
8712, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2008.
- Hasan, Zubair, 2008. "Ialamic finance education at graduate level: Current position and challenges," MPRA Paper 8615, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/9551 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Harris).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.