Income inequality and health: a multi-country analysis
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of income inequality on health status. A model of health status was specified in which the main variables were income level, income inequality, the level of savings and the level of education. The model was estimated using a panel data set for 44 countries covering six time periods. The results indicate that income inequality (measured by the Gini coefficient) has a significant effect on health status when we control for the levels of income, savings and education. The relationship is consistent regardless of the specification of health status and income. Thus, the study results provide some empirical support for the income inequality hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal International Journal of Social Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1/2 (January)
Pages: 195 - 207
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ekholm, Bo-Göran & Wallin, Jan, 2003. "Shareholder/Stakeholder Value Management, Company Growth and Financial Performance: An Exploratory Study," Working Papers 493, Hanken School of Economics.
- Fougère, Martin, 2004. "Organizing (with) Thirdness. A Dialogic Understanding of Bicultural Interactions in Organizations," Working Papers 504, Hanken School of Economics.
- Mohan, Ramesh & Mirmirani, Sam, 2007. "An Assessment of OECD Health Care System Using Panel Data Analysis," MPRA Paper 6122, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fougère, Martin, 2004. "Finnish-French Fundamental Cultural Antagonisms in Organising," Working Papers 502, Hanken School of Economics.
- Forsman, Maria & Solitander, Nikodemus, 2004. "The Context and Diffusion of Knowledge in the Finnish Jewellery Industry - The role of The House of Fabergé," Working Papers 506, Hanken School of Economics.
- Ekholm, Bo-Göran & Wallin, Jan, 2004. "Strategic Priorities, Company Performance and Attitudes Towards Management Accounting Techniques: an Empirical Study," Working Papers 507, Hanken School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Harris).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.