The effect of off-farm employment on the decisions of households to rent out and rent in cultivated land in China
AbstractPurpose – Developing nations need good cultivated land rental markets to foster rational resource use and to enhance productivity and equity. Can cultivated land rental markets emerge in the face of rapidly developing off-farm labor markets? The purpose of this paper is to measure the correlation between the emergence of off-farm employment and cultivated land rental in China. Design/methodology/approach – Based on a panel data from 2000 and 2008, the authors constructed econometric models to identify the impact of off-farm employment on the decisions of households to rent out and rent in cultivated land. Findings – This paper finds that the emergence of off-farm employment has significant and positive impacts on stimulating household to rent out cultivated land. The effect is less prominent for renting-in decisions. Originality/value – The paper empirically estimates the impacts of off-farm employment on cultivated land rent markets based on a unique panel data set from a national representative sample.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal China Agricultural Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J43 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Agricultural Labor Markets
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
- Q24 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Land
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xiaofei Li, & Chengfang Liu & Renfu Luo & Linxiu Zhang & Scott Rozelle, 2010. "The challenges facing young workers during rural labor transition," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(2), pages 185-199, May.
- Jin, Songqing & Deininger, Klaus, 2009.
"Land rental markets in the process of rural structural transformation: Productivity and equity impacts from China,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 629-646, December.
- Jin, Songqing & Deininger, Klaus W., 2007. "Land Rental Markets in the Process of Rural Structural Transformation: Productivity and Equity Impacts from China," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9932, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Loren Brandt & Scott Rozelle & Matthew A. Turner, 2004.
"Local Government Behavior and Property Right Formation in Rural China,"
Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE),
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 160(4), pages 627-, December.
- Loren Brandt & Scott Rozelle & Matthew A. Turner, 2002. "Local Government Behavior and Property Right Formation in Rural China," Working Papers mturner-02-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Brandt, Loren & Rozelle, Scott & Turner, Matthew A., 2002. "Local Government Behavior And Property Rights Formation In Rural China," Working Papers 11988, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Deininger, Klaus W. & Jin, Songqing, 2005.
"Land Sales and Rental Markets in Transition: Evidence from Rural Vietnam,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19359, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Klaus Deininger & Songqing Jin, 2008. "Land Sales and Rental Markets in Transition: Evidence from Rural Vietnam," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(1), pages 67-101, 02.
- Deininger, Klaus & Songqing Jin, 2003. "Land sales and rental markets in transition - evidence from rural Viet Nam," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3013, The World Bank.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing, 2007. "Land rental markets in the process of rural structural transformation : productivity and equity impacts in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4454, The World Bank.
- Daniel H. Rosen & Scott Rozelle & Jikan Huang, 2004.
"Roots of Competitiveness: China's Evolving Agriculture Interests,"
Peterson Institute Press: All Books,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa72.
- Daniel H. Rosen & Scott Rozelle & Jikan Huang, 2004. "Roots of Competitiveness: China's Evolving Agriculture Interests," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa72, November.
- Nabi, Ijaz, 1985. "Rural Factor Market Imperfections and the Incidence of Tenancy in Agriculture," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 319-29, June.
- Michael Kevane, 1996. "Agrarian Structure and Agricultural Practice: Typology and Application to Western Sudan," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 236-245.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing, 2005. "The potential of land rental markets in the process of economic development: Evidence from China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 241-270, October.
- Kung, James Kai-sing, 2002. "Off-Farm Labor Markets and the Emergence of Land Rental Markets in Rural China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 395-414, June.
- de Brauw, Alan & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott & Zhang, Linxiu & Zhang, Yigang, 2002.
"The Evolution Of China'S Rural Labor Markets During The Reforms,"
11984, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- de Brauw, Alan & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott & Zhang, Linxiu & Zhang, Yigang, 2002. "The Evolution of China's Rural Labor Markets During the Reforms," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 329-353, June.
- Otsuka, Keijiro, 2007. "Efficiency and Equity Effects of Land Markets," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- Yang Yao, 2000. "The Development of the Land Lease Market in Rural China," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(2), pages 252-266.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.