Factors affecting the agricultural loan decision-making process
AbstractAgricultural lenders in today’s environment face many challenges when evaluating the creditworthiness of farm borrowers. To address these challenges, a survey was conducted with financial institutions in Kansas and Indiana where agricultural lenders were asked for their responses to hypothetical agricultural loan requests. Each loan request differed by the borrower’s character, financial record keeping, productive standing, Fair Isaac credit bureau score, and credit risk. Lenders provided information about themselves and their financial institutions. The survey data obtained determine the relative importance of financial and nonfinancial information when analyzing agricultural loan applications. Tobit models are estimated to identify the borrower and lender characteristics that are important in determining loan approval, while OLS models are used to investigate the factors that affect interest rates offered to farm borrowers. The results offer a comparison of agricultural lending between two important agricultural states and provide lenders with insight on the factors that influence the decision-making process of other agricultural lenders.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Agricultural Finance Review.
Volume (Year): 67 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Other versions of this item:
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Wilson, Christine A. & Kastens, Terry L. & Jones, John D., 2005. "Factors Affecting the Agricultural Loan Decision-Making Process," Proceedings: 2005 Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition,October 3-4, 2005; Minneapolis, Minnesota 132749, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen M. Featherstone & Laura M. Roessler & Peter J. Barry, 2006. "Determining the Probability of Default and Risk-Rating Class for Loans in the Seventh Farm Credit District Portfolio," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 28(1), pages 4-23.
- Barry, Peter J. & Ellinger, Paul N., 1989. "Credit Scoring, Loan Pricing, And Farm Business Performance," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(01), July.
- Gustafson, Cole R. & Beyer, Ronald J. & Saxowsky, David M., 1991. "Credit Evaluation: Investigating the Decision Process of Agricultural Loan Officers," Proceedings: 1991 Regional Committee NC-161, September 23-24, 1991, St. Louis, Missouri 130940, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Myyrä, Sami, & Pietola, Kyosti & Heikkilä, Anna-Maija, 2011. "Farm Level Capital: Capital positions, structures, the dynamics of farm level investments, capital accumulation and leverage positions," Factor Markets Working Papers 105, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Bruce L. Dixon & Bruce L. Ahrendsen & Brandon R. McFadden & Diana M. Danforth & Monica Foianini & Sandra J. Hamm, 2011. "Competing risks models of Farm Service Agency seven-year direct operating loans," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(1), pages 5-24, May.
- Landerito, Aiko O. & Dixon, Bruce L. & Ahrendsen, Bruce L. & Hamm, Sandra J. & Danforth, Diana M., 2009. "Analyzing FSA Direct Loan Borrower Payback Histories: Predictors of Financial Improvement and Loan Servicing Actions," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49340, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Harris).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.