Enhancing microfinance using index-based risk-transfer products
AbstractWhile significant progress in microcredit and microfinance has been made in low-income countries, lending for small farming enterprises has been limited. This article reviews how innovative index-based risk-transfer products (IBRTPs) can be used to transfer the correlated natural disaster risks that often hamper the development of farm-level microcredit. By linking lending to IBRTPs, access to microcredit can be enhanced while also providing opportunities to offer mutual sharing of the basis risk that remains after correlated risks are transferred into global markets. This opens the way for new thinking about developing agricultural insurance in low-income countries. Keywords: Agricultural finance, Agricultural insurance, Agricultural poverty, Disaster risk management/mitigation, Index-based risk transfer, Microcredit, Microfinance, Microinsurance, Rural credit markets
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Agricultural Finance Review.
Volume (Year): 66 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kellner, Ulla & Musshoff, Oliver, 2011. "Precipitation or water capacity indices? An analysis of the benefits of alternative underlyings for index insurance," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 104(8), pages 645-653, October.
- Banerjee, Chirantan & Berg, Ernst, 2011. "Efficiency Of Wind Indexed Typhoon Insurance For Rice," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114240, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Barnett, Barry J. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Skees, Jerry R., 2008. "Poverty Traps and Index-Based Risk Transfer Products," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1766-1785, October.
- Jerry R. Skees & Barry J. Barnett & Anne G. Murphy, 2008.
"Creating insurance markets for natural disaster risk in lower income countries: the potential role for securitization,"
Agricultural Finance Review,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 68(1), pages 151-167, September.
- Skees, Jerry R. & Barnett, Barry J. & Murphy, Anne G., 2007. "Creating insurance markets for natural disaster risk in lower income countries: the potential role for securitization," 101st Seminar, July 5-6, 2007, Berlin Germany 9272, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Korir, Luke Kipkurgat, 2011. "Risk Management Among Agricultural Households And The Role Of Off-Farm Investments In Uasin Gishu County, Kenya," Research Theses 117806, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Collier, Benjamin & Katchova, Ani L. & Skees, Jerry R., 2010.
"Loan Portfolio Performance and El Niño, an Intervention Analysis,"
2010 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2010, Orlando, Florida
56217, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Benjamin Collier & Ani L. Katchova & Jerry R. Skees, 2011. "Loan portfolio performance and El Niño, an intervention analysis," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(1), pages 98-119, May.
- Heenkenda, Shirantha, 2011. "Prospective Demand for an Index-Based Microinsurance in Sri Lanka," MPRA Paper 54420, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2011.
- Muamba, Francis M. & Ulimwengu, John M., 2010. "Optimal rainfall insurance contracts for maize producers in Ghana’s Northern Region," IFPRI discussion papers 1016, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Leif Erec Heimfarth & Oliver Musshoff, 2011. "Weather index-based insurances for farmers in the North China Plain: An analysis of risk reduction potential and basis risk," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(2), pages 218-239, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.